Receptacle placement for wall sconces

Old 02-25-19, 05:06 PM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Receptacle placement for wall sconces

I'm doing the rough-in electrical wiring for my basement finishing project. We have a 7-foot stretch of wall where we plan to place two wall sconce lights. I'd like the lights to be evenly spaced along the wall, but to accomplish this each receptacle lands roughly half-way between two studs, ruling out just nailing the receptacle to the stud as I would normally do. What's the best way to position a receptacle suspended between two studs? A worker at Lowes had suggested just nailing into place a 14-1/2 inch 2x4 horizontally between two studs, then nailing the receptacle to it sideways. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

Another dumb question, but I've never installed a sconce light...should I just use a typical rectangular receptacle? I assume the sconces come with some sort of mounting plate that will allow me to install it at the desired angle I want regardless of what angle the receptacle is at?

Old 02-25-19, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You could certainly do that. Or use one of these.

Most use round or octogon boxes (not square, not rectangle) but you would want to double check that with the sconce you intend to use.

Old 02-25-19, 05:25 PM
C
I was going to use one of those, but then I noticed that the screw holes were diagonal from each other, rather than on top and bottom. I figured that would be an issue, but I guess that comes back to my question of how the mounting gear for most sconce lights work. We actually haven't picked out or bought the sconce lights that we'll install, so I don't have one for reference. I figured there was probably some kind of standard that they all followed.

Old 02-25-19, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Some sconces may be different but most use an adjustable bracket. It is installed at an angle while the adjustable part can be put in any position.

Once you have your sconces you will know for sure because they usually come with the hardware. They also have the option of a single central post mount.

Old 02-25-19, 05:36 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You use a mounting similar to this. It let's you arrange any orientation required. There are many different versions. This is just one example.

Name:  Replacing-an-outdoor-light-fixture-10.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  170.7 KB

Old 02-25-19, 05:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It should include a mounting bar of some type. The bar goes to the box and the light to the bars adjustable holes.

Attached Images   
Old 02-27-19, 07:50 AM
C
Thanks for the info guys. Those are exactly the kinds of pictures I needed for reference.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: