How to remove ceiling hanging light fixture

Old 05-19-18, 01:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to remove ceiling hanging light fixture

Does anybody know how to remove the hanging ceiling light in the attached photos, I have a new light to install but I'm just not sure how to attach the removal of the old light. Has anybody out there removed something like this before?

Attached Images   
Old 05-19-18, 01:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks heavy. Make sure you get some help.
Two people to hold the fixture would not be out of the question.

Unhook the chain from the center hook. Turn that hollow finial counterclockwise. The brass canopy should come down and then you need to open the wiring connections.

Old 05-19-18, 03:17 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Suggestion...Use a high step ladder to support the light itself then unhook the chains then unhook electrical after removing the finial as PJ mentions.

Old 05-19-18, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
The bottom looks to be glass. Not sure it can sit on a ladder.

Old 05-19-18, 04:00 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Well, perhaps a sheet of wall board or plywood or foam. It just seems tough to ask a person to hold the light chains slack while another person fumbles with the attachment and electrical connection.

Old 05-20-18, 08:10 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A thought, in addition to those already suggested: After being sure that the power is off, cut the wires, and get them "out of the way" from the immediate top links in the chain. Then, (after being sure that the light is supported-in such a way that the chains have a bit of slack) start opening the top link of each chain, but don't disconnect them. When all 3 links are open, disconnect each chain (it might be easier to disconnect the 2nd link from the top link, rather than the top link from the ceiling plate.
(Note: In the event that you want to reuse the light elsewhere, this method could cause a problem if the cut wires are now too short to reach the ceiling box)

One more thing to keep in mind: once you disconnect the wires, you could open any link in each of the chains, then "uncouple" to allow you to get the light out of the way, then deal with the remaining lengths of the chains.

Finally, remember to place your ladder along the longer side of the light, so that you don't have to reach too far to get to the light.
Good luck with your project.

Old 05-21-18, 07:42 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you everybody for the suggestions, I knew somebody would be able to get me on the right track. I will tackle this in a few days. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: