Switch controls top outlet and not ceiling light

Old 05-20-18, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch controls top outlet and not ceiling light

In several rooms of my house, the light switch controls the top outlet only, and does not control the ceiling light. I would like to at minimum, make the switch control the ceiling light, and at most, control the light only and not the outlets. When I turn off the breaker, all power to the outlets, switch and ceiling light/fan turns off, so I think itís all wired together. I hope thatís a good thing. I have change outlets before as well as three way switches, regular on/off switches, and light fixtures and fans, so Iím hoping I can tackle this. What other information and photos would be needed? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-18, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Welcome to the forums,

You have a switch controlling one half of the receptacle. It sounds like you have a fan/light combination that was added later. There won't be any direct connections from the switch to that light.

If the fan and light only work with a wireless remote then more than likely you have a two conductor cable there supplying always live power. At the very least you would need to get a two wire cable from the fan/light to the wall switch or the switched receptacle based on how it was wired.

Old 05-24-18, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Pete! Sounds like a job for a professional! I appreciate your response.