Adding subpanel same building

Old 05-25-18, 10:24 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding subpanel same building

My home (2002) has a 200 Amp service. The panel is completely full with tandem breakers in all allowable positions. The basement is unfinished and right now only has a 2 breakers dedicated to the basement (lights and a few wall outlets. I would like to finish the basement so I will need to add a sub panel. The sticky gives a clear description of how it needs to be wired up.
I was planning on adding the sub panel right next to the existing panel, hoping that I wouldnt have to rewire anything since I need to relocate a couple of breakers to the new panel.
1. I was going to do the wiring myself but do I need to get it inspected or have an electrician do the final hookup. I am very comfortable doing the work but don't want to skip anything that is required.

any thoughts? Should I consider placing the sub panel somewhere else for increased flexibility?

Old 05-25-18, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
You can place the sub panel anyplace you want. I would put the sub panel in the basement where most of the new work will be located, (you didn't mention where the existing panel is) but install it someplace that will remain unfinished so that circuits can be added later.

In most places, any electrical work is required to have a permit and an inspection. Be sure to check with your state or city to be sure. You can likely group the sub panel and the basement wiring into the same permit/inspections.

Old 05-26-18, 08:09 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The existing panel is in the basement where I have a workshop area that will domain unfiniahed. I was going to add the new sub panel on the same wall as the existing panel.

Old 05-26-18, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
That sounds like a good location to me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: