LED CFL voltage drop

Old 05-26-18, 12:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED CFL voltage drop

I have noticed that CFL bulbs are more forgiving to voltage drop than Incandescent. For example, when my AC kicks on I can see a slight dimming with incandescents but cfl's in the same fixture doesn't seem effected.

Why is that?

also
I have some new LED's which I have never used before.... can I expect the same tolerance to voltage drop with an LED as with CFL?

Old 05-26-18, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
It will really depend on how the LED is made. LEDs convert 120 VAC to anywhere from 3 to 50 VDC. A LED will likely not dim with a sag in voltage but could cause them blink for a second. You will really just have to try them in your location.

Old 05-26-18, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
It can depend on a lot of things. Sometimes it's just the way the circuits are wired.

CFL bulbs have a high voltage supply in them that can act as a momentary buffer to surges and sags. There is nothing but the filament with an incandescent bulb.

With LED's you're at the mercy of the manufacturer. Some LED bulbs are very stable while some will show even the slightest sag or surge. There's no way to know for sure without trying them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: