Adding new outlet/receptacle from second 3 way switch

Old 05-31-18, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding new outlet/receptacle from second 3 way switch

I recently added a duplex receptacle to my laundry room, but was only able to tie into power from switch on outside wall. My other paths all involved going through studs or headers which I obviously wanted to avoid.

The light switch I was forced to tap into however is a 3 way switch that controls a hallway recessed light. And that 3 way switch is the second 3 way switch that controls the light and not where the power source comes in. Without going through 4 studs and around a corner, I cannot get to where the power comes in. Is there any reasonable way to get constant power from the second three way switch?

Currently, the new outlets work, but they are dependent on both 3 way switches being in the right position. Not a huge deal, but I've got a printer with wifi plugged into the outlet so I'd prefer it to be always connected and online. On another forum I was provided the wiring diagram you see as a solution. However, I was confused by why the second 3 way switch in the diagram has one black common being spliced into two and similarly using two neutrals.

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 05:50 PM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Hi, the 2 blacks are spliced together because one feeds the outlet and the other feeds the switch if the outlet was not there the black would go directly to the switch, as for the whites that is the neutral to the light and is spliced because there is a 2 wire cable coming into the box from the light. No way to power your outlet from the point you are at.
By the way what is this outlet used for?
Geo

Old 05-31-18, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
Is there any reasonable way to get constant power from the second three way switch?
No. There is only switched power there that is switch dependent.

Old 06-01-18, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I use the outlet for printers that ideally remain powered on because of wifi.

Old 06-01-18, 08:23 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need a different source of power or eliminate the three way switch.