Pool subpanel question

Old 06-02-18, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool subpanel question

I have a house with a pool and a subpanel to power the pump, pool light, outlets, etc. The panel has 5 of 6 breakers in use. One breaker is for a heater that we no longer use and I may remove this freeing up an additional breaker. The main panel contains 2 30A breakers for this subpanel.

My question is, can i use this subpanel for anything else? I am considering adding a covered pavilion next to the pool and would like to wire a receptacle, ceiling fan, and lights. Additionally, in the future I may want to build a workshop on the property, and the way to run power to it would be on the corner of the house where the subpanel currently resides. Do the subpanel breakers need to be 60A or less (because of the breakers in the main panel)? I would guess no since my main panel breakers add up to way more than the 200A service. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-18, 06:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
The main panel contains 2 30A breakers for this subpanel.
It likely is one 2 pole 30 amp breaker, not 2 30 amp breakers.

My question is, can i use this subpanel for anything else?
Yes. You can use the sub panel for whatever you want. It is not restricted to only serve the pool equipment. Just be sure for follow the NEC requirements for any electrical that is installed near the pool.

Do the subpanel breakers need to be 60A or less. I would guess no since my main panel breakers add up to way more than the 200A service.
No. They can be any size as long as they are not higher then the rating of the panel, in your case 200 amps. It is very common for the breakers to add up to more then the rating of the main breaker. This is not an issue.

Old 06-03-18, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tolyn Ironhand, great information .thank you!!!

Old 06-04-18, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
A 30A panel is probably enough to support the pool plus the pavilion, but maybe not the workshop. Depends on how big of tools you intend to use and if the building will need heating or cooling. If it's just small hand tools and lighting you're probably OK, but if you use stationary tools there won't be enough power at that subpanel.