Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Power goes out in one room when a.c. is turned off at thermostat.

Old 06-02-18, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We had a bad storm out here last night and it took them 12 hours to restore the power to our block. But when we got power back we noticed no breakers where tripped but the fridge was getting half power and some of the outlets in the kitchen where getting half power. And the a.c. fan is blowing but won't blow cold and when we turn it off it kills power to half the kitchen. We are at a loss at what it is if it's a breaker that went bad or something worse. When the a.c. turns back on the power is restored to the kitchen but still won't blow cold but the fan is on.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-18, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to call the POCO emergency repair number and report one leg of power
is out at your residence. Call now.

Old 06-02-18, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
I agree, sounds like one leg is still down after the storm.

Old 06-03-18, 05:09 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
This is a good reason to shut off major appliances off during a power outage, just leave lighting circuits on so you can tell when power is restored.
IMO
Geo

Old 06-04-18, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've had this happen on three-phase power into hotels. Typically the problem is caused by a suicidal seagull that bridges two legs on the nearest power pole. Maintenance guys were usually confused by the instruction to go to the nearest power pole, find the dead bird, and bury it. How did I know?

We would often have one or two phases, which would operate some or most lighting, and some or most appliances, but random devices throughout the hotel would not work, and I would have to have those shut off until PG&E could reset the transformer. To explain it in the staff meetings, I would have to say that electricity comes in three flavors, vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. If you lose strawberry, the elevators won't run because they need neopolitan.

Oddly enough, that explanation usually worked.