Doorbell Safari Hunt...

Old 06-05-18, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Doorbell Safari Hunt...

I am not sure which forum to post this in, so decided here.

Basically I tried to troubleshoot why my two doorbells in my house failed to work a few years ago. I ended up giving up due to frustration of not even being able to open the Chime box, nor did anyone else have ideas.

I have decided to make this thread here, and I'd like to fix this issue once and for all, regardless of how much effort it takes, LOL.

Currently, I have two main issues.

# 1. I can not find the transformer down in the basement. I assume it is in the rafters somewhere, but I just can't find it. I hope it's not covered up by the permanently installed ceiling tiles a previous owner installed, as that will be a big hassel.

# 2. I still can not find an obvious way to open the chime box. I found it alright, but no obvious way besides breaking it open. I suppose that may be my last choice. This house is an older one, built around 60s. No obvious markings. Maybe it was never meant to be opened?

And so continues the hunt....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-18, 11:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
I moved your thread to the AC/DC electrical forum.

Transformers don't have to be in the basement. They can be in a closet, the attic, attached to an electrical panel and buried.

Most chime covers just snap on. Have you painted the wall around the chime ?
Possibly it's stuck to the wall with paint.

Post a picture of the chime unit for us...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 06-06-18, 06:45 AM
Here is what the Chime box looks like.

Attached Images   
Old 06-06-18, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I did a quick image ssearch and your unit looks alot like a Heath-Zenith wireless unit. Check it out. There is also a link to the owner's manual that shows how to open it.

https://www.heath-zenith.com/product...ll-kit-sl-7762

With it being a wireless unit, you would not have a transformer in the house as it runs off batteries. You may simply need new batteries in the chime and the buttons at the door(s).

- Peter

Old 06-06-18, 01:00 PM
Thank you so much Pjaffe! In one reply you seem to have solved all my mysteries here.

I was able to open this thing finally, and yes, it has 3 batteries in it! All with Radioshack labels (Boy you KNOW that's old).

I'm sure the dual failure is just because of the batts, I will replace them soon enough.

I did not expect to solve it this quick. Wish they had put labels on the outside of the chime case, but looks like we are all good for now. Mystery solved!

Old 06-16-18, 06:56 PM
So, thought I'd bump this for an update.

I picked up some D type batteries for the chime box today. Grabbed a pack of Zinc based batts. I guess alkaline will do better, but I'm curious to see how well these types hold up.

Still no luck. Tried to find the synch button on the chime (according to the manual), can't find it for the life of me. Not even when following the vids.

After thinking I was crazy, I unscrewed the box from the wall to read any hidden info on the back. That is when I discovered that there actually is an oldschool doorbell wire there. It's been cut and taped up then hidden in a crevice in the wall. So I guess there really was an old transformer in the house at one time. No clue what happened to it. lol

Found some markings on the back, did a search, finally found a manual that makes more sense. Seems there is no sync button on my version after all, no wonder I was confused.

Will head off tomorrow to pick up more batts, as I believe now I just need to replace the batts in the actual ringers themselves. Funny thing is I need A23 12v batts. Never used these types for anything before. Looks like WalMart sells a pack of 2 for 11$ here. But the local sex-shop down the street sells the same pack for under two bucks. That's a switch.

I'm used to the fact that anything related to the sex industry having a 10x markup. Go figure.

Let's hope that this is the end of getting this thing working again. And then I can focus on fixing the nightmare of a problem in my house with all the wonky wiring and false grounding.

Old 06-16-18, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
The A23's are a common remote battery. They used to be called lighter batteries as they were use in lighters. Many car alarm and remote starters use them.

Old 06-16-18, 07:26 PM
Seems I hit a brick wall again. Can't get the cases to the actual ringers open now. LOL.

Supposedly you just press a screwdriver into the bottom tab and push, sometimes twist. Damn thing is about to break if I try any more force. Makes me wonder if a hot summer day caused it to melt shut. I will try to fool around with the two of them tomorrow, if I break them, then so be it.

Old 06-16-18, 07:51 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
if I break them, then so be it.
Hey, that's why God made duct tape.