how to get electrical to gazebo

Old 06-06-18, 11:02 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to get electrical to gazebo

Greetings, all.

On my cemented backyard, I have a standalone 10 X 10 size gazebo. This gazebo is located just right outside of the sliding door of the house. The spacing between the house walls and the gazebo is around 36". From outside, as looking towards the house, to the right of the sliding door top corner, there's a light fixture. A few feet below the light fixture, there's an AC outlet. The light fixture is controlled by a switch from the inside of the house. Whereas, the AC outlet is always hot.

I have installed string lights around the gazebo and currently use an extension cord that it plugged into the outlet to light the string lights.

Question: What would be a practical DIY'er approach to get a permanent electrical to the gazebo so I don't have to use the extension cord?

many thanks.

Old 06-06-18, 11:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it dirt or concrete between the house and gazebo?

Old 06-06-18, 01:59 PM
X
the area between the house and gazebo is concrete

Old 06-06-18, 07:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Can you please post a picture?

Old 06-07-18, 03:48 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I have a very similar situation. I use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord for my hanging chandelier for the gazebo. I also unplug the extension when not in use. I thought about a permanent hook up but decided it was not worth the time or expense.

Old 06-07-18, 11:39 AM
X
@PCBoss - I will take some pics tonight and post.

@Norm201 - yes, currently that is exactly what I am doing, however, leaving the extension cord poses and issue of tripping over. I also thought about permanently routing the extension cord plugging it as needed. While this is a workaround, I am wanting a more permanent installation.

I thought to tap off the AC outlet and use non metallic electrical conduit, run that externally on wall then just bridge it between the wall and gazebo and put an outlet box on gazebo so I can connect the gazebo lights. I probably have more research to do, finding out what other water/weather proof items I may need but thought this would a starting point.

Old 06-07-18, 12:05 PM
As described, I see only one option and it's not pretty.

1. Move the gazebo out of the way. Turn off the breaker feeding the outdoor receptacle.
2. Cut a trench in the concrete with a concrete saw.
3. Dig to the depth required by local code for buried conduit (direct burial cable would not be an option because you need to stub up at the gazebo).
4. At the existing outlet, extend the box outward so that you have a place to attach the conduit in the next step.
5. Lay a conduit from the outlet to where the corner of the gazebo will be. Extend the conduit up about two feet above ground level.
6. Pull an appropriate set of wires, likely 14-2. Install a water-tight box, GFCI outlet, and in-use rain-proof cover.
7. Pour new concrete.
8. When the concrete is set and surfaced, put the gazebo back and turn on the breaker.

Depending on local codes, there might be other choices, but they tend to be even less pretty that this one.

Old 06-07-18, 12:08 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by xmfan
What would be a practical DIY'er approach to get a permanent electrical to the gazebo so I don't have to use the extension cord?
Well, a gazebo is, by definition a movealbe outdoor structure that's just sitting on concrete without a foundation, I'd just go with the extension cord.

Just run the cord so it's out of the way, either on the ground, or suspended in the air.
As for ground use, check Staples or online for plastic "cord covers" that keep you from tripping over a cord on the ground.
If the gazebo has a top vent and turret, and you've got vinyl siding, it's easy,
Get an outdoor cover for the outlet, tuck the exentsion cord from the under the siding, run it to the edge, tuck the cord along the corner guard, then up to the level of the gazebo vent, under the siding, then from the wall to the gazebo. Remember to put drip loops in, or double wrap a zip-tie to create a drip point.

Old 06-07-18, 12:14 PM
Hal_S's suggestion is much more practical.

Old 06-07-18, 01:14 PM
Are all gazebos really portable? Seen a lot that didn't seem to be portable. If this one isn't I'd go IM conduit up the wall from an extension ring on the receptacle and horizontally over to the gazebo. Even sched.80 PVC might sag on the horizontal though only 36".

Last edited by ray2047; 06-07-18 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 01:50 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047
Even sched.80 PVC might sag on the horizontal though only 36".
So, run a section of PVC, and wind the cord around it. PVC still supports the cord.

Old 06-07-18, 04:15 PM
But I was proposing a permanent installation of a receptacle. Wires inside the IM conduit.

Old 06-07-18, 07:09 PM
I
Iwould make sure your outside outlet is latest in service cord type..and plug this into it..

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...9A-1/202296039

They work great and quit plugging and unplugging

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: