wires coming out of wall to range hood have no power

Old 06-10-18, 03:22 PM
wires coming out of wall to range hood have no power

The other day I pulled some fuses to change an electrical outlet in my kitchen and when I replaced the fuses, I found that the outlet worked but neither the fan nor the light on my under cabinet range hood were working. I removed the range hood and tested the wires (one white and one black) and they have no power.

Though the range hood is not essential, I'd like to get it working again but I can't figure out why these wires would suddenly stop carrying a charge. The wires coming from the wall are in a flexible metal conduit so it makes no sense to me how they could have come loose somewhere along the line. All fuses are okay and I have no GFCI outlets in the kitchen.

Incidentally, all of the other outlets and lights in the kitchen are working ... except for the outlet closest to the range hood. It is a split receptacle and when I removed the brass tab between the hot screws for safety yesterday, the bottom portion stopped working.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
If the hood worked before you changed the outlet I would suspect something is wrong in the outlet box.

Old 06-10-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
It is a split receptacle and when I removed the brass tab between the hot screws for safety yesterday, the bottom portion stopped working.
So the range hood went dead after you modified the receptacle? Why do you think it is a split receptacle?

Do you really have fuses. That would be unusual.

Old 06-10-18, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you broke the tab you lost the connection to feed power downstream . The hood was downstream of the receptacle .

Old 06-10-18, 05:04 PM
The full story is that I was tiling my kitchen and I removed my fuses and the receptacle closest to the range hood. I capped off the wires, plugged the fuses back in and the range hood wasn't working. I assumed that the range hood would get power when I replaced the outlet but that's not what happened.

ray0247, I live in a condo built in 1972 and much to my dismay, I definitely have fuses. As for the split receptacle, they are in a lot of Canadian kitchens and I have them. When I removed the second kitchen outlet (that has no issues) to replace it the tab was broken off.

pcboss, when I first replaced the receptacle I did NOT break the tab off and both the top and bottom of the outlet were working. The range hood was still not working which is why I decided to alter the box by removing the tab. The result was still no range hood and one plug-in not working.

Last edited by LauraYYZ; 06-10-18 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-10-18, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The range hood is likely connected to the closest receptacle. Thats' where I'd try to trace the wire using a continuity checker, and figure out why it's not electrically connected.

Putting the range hood on the countertop circuits is no longer acceptable in the US NEC, nor (do I believe) the CEC. But back when the house was built, it was probably common.

Old 06-10-18, 09:15 PM
Thanks, Zorfdt. I'll pick up a continuity tester tomorrow and give it a go.

Old 06-10-18, 11:36 PM
Group Moderator
Get an analog (not digital) multimeter to check continuity.. It will be a lot more useful then a dedicated continuity checker.

Old 06-11-18, 12:07 PM
Thanks all. I picked up the continuity tester and there is no connection from the outlet to the range hood wires. I just don't understand why those wires bit the radish. At this point I suppose I'll need an electrician to look at them unless there are any other suggestions?

Old 06-12-18, 01:09 PM
I decided to check all of my fuses and it turns out that all it was was a blown fuse! Happy to have found the very simple answer to that problem.

Old 06-13-18, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear you figured it out! It's usually the simple solution