Installing New Light Fixture

Old 05-16-01, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an older home. A few years ago, I replaced an old light fixture with a ceiling fan that had a light. The light/fan are on one switch and the switch does not control an outlet (you could also pull strings on the fixture to control the fan and light). However, I recently needed to get rid of the fan and tried to install a new light fixture. The new-fixture instructions talk about 3 wires: black, white, and a ground (green). I have 5 wires: 2 Black (hot), 1 Red (hot) and 2 White (neutral). I don't have the instructions from when I installed the fan, and I can't recall what I did to install it. In putting in the new fixture, I mistakenly hooked up the white to white and black to black and treated the red as a ground. The light was illuminated in the "off" switch position, and when I flipped the switch "on", the circuit breaker was tripped. Then I did white to white, black to black, and left the red wire alone. The light was illuminated regardless of whether the switch was in the "on" or "off" potision. So what do I do with this red (hot) wire? I have a feeling there's an easy solution. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-01, 02:30 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
You attach the red wire to the light black.

Old 05-21-01, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
New Light Fixture

Actually, I attached the red and black together to the light black. That didn't work since the light stayed on whether in the "on" or "off" switch position. Are you suggesting that I leave the two black wires alone and just hook the red to the light black?

Originally posted by Gary Tait
You attach the red wire to the light black.

Old 05-21-01, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
You need to connect white to white, red from ceiling to black from fixture, cap off the two black and leave them alone, and then ground

Old 05-21-01, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is the 101st time this situation has been presented here.

PentaVolvo is correct, assuming you interpret his "cap off the two black" as meaning that these two black wires should be connected together.

The power is coming first to the ceiling on the black and white that are in the same cable without the red. The other cable with the black/red/white goes to the switch. The red wire is power returning from the switch.

You're really lucky. The presense of the red wire makes life easy. Try this:

(1) Connect the two blacks together, but to nothing else.
(2) Connect the two whites together, along with the white wire from the lamp.
(3) Connect the red wire to the black wire from the lamp.

Post back and let us know how it comes out.

Old 05-25-01, 02:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile Installing New Light Fixture

Sorry for the delay, but it worked! Thanks for the help.