GFCI tripping very rarely - equipment questions

Old 06-17-18, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GFCI tripping very rarely - equipment questions

Hi there,

I have 3 outlets wired in series where the GFCI is the first outlet and the 2 others are wired after. This is my sunroom/office.

I started having an issue where the GFCI outlet abruptly trips and does so extremely rarely (once every 2-3 weeks) with no apparent pattern. What's connected to these outlets are as follows:

- Desktop computer 1 & 2. Desktop 1 is a 10 year old machine that I use as my file server. Desktop 2 is newer, it is water cooled (has radiators/pumps etc inside).
- Amazon Alexa
- Laser Printer
- 7.1 Logitech Speaker System
- Phillips Hue Hub
- 2 Monitors (24" and 30")
- 2 desk lamps (they have Phillips Hue smart bulbs)
- AND Rachio Smart Sprinkler controller

I have no idea why this is happening, what is causing this. Could it be Rachio sprinkler controller? It is connected to 16 total zones + 2 master zones (so that's total of 18 connections in my yard). Or my custom computers?

My concern is twofold:

- Obviously something dangerous is going on and I cant find it
AND
- When I leave for vacation soon for 2 weeks, this will happen and my sprinklers will die and as a result so will my grass

What can I do? I can remove the GFCI outlet (there is an AFCI breaker before it) but I know that's not the right solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-18, 08:50 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Sometimes GFCI receptacles wear out. Replacing it would be a valid troubleshooting step.

Old 06-17-18, 08:54 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi, are any of the outlets outside? Is there a sprinkler head hitting one or the outlets?
Geo

Old 06-17-18, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The outlets are all indoors. The sprinkler controller is also indoors (a conduit feeds all the sprinkler cables indoors from outside). The outlet was purchased about 3-4 months ago along with probably 30 other GFCI outlets and this is the only one with the problem. Sprinkler controller has been installed 2 years ago but there never was gfci here. I can change the outlet yes but I m afraid it will be another 3 weeks before it trips and it may do so while I m out on vacation

Old 06-17-18, 11:45 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Is this something that just started happening if all the outlets in question are indoors , why are they GFCI protected?
also just curious, what did you do with the 30 GFCI receptacles?
Geo