Convert pool heat pump to GFCI

Old 06-19-18, 07:48 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Convert pool heat pump to GFCI

When I realized that all the outdoor equipment (which gets its power from a sub panel in the shed) does not have ground fault protection I bought a few GFCI breakers to install myself. The 30 amp for the pool pump looked the same as the existing breaker except for the pigtail so I thought I'd just have to swap it. It's Square D QO equipment BTW.

Now I know it's not the same. So now I have to connect the neutral to the breaker as well as both load wires but there is no neutral as it is now. On the existing breaker there are only two load wires on the breaker and a ground (the "naked" wire) connected to the panel (not the neutral bus bar). There is however a third, unused wire. I believe I could use that as the neutral but I don't know where to connected it on the heat pump.

I've uploaded the wiring diagram for the heat pump and a pic of how it's currently (is that a pun?) connected. There doesn't seem to be any place for a neutral. Is there?

Attached Images   
Old 06-19-18, 08:46 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
A pure 240V device does not use a neutral wire; it only needs 2 hots and a ground. You can leave it disconnected between the breaker and the heater, but the neutral pigtail from the breaker to the panel should be connected.

Old 06-19-18, 06:47 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! Heat pump works, test button works. 😁

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: