Electrical outlets not working

Old 06-19-18, 05:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Electrical outlets not working

Hey guys, my name is Steven and I’m new to the forum. I have a strange situation with my electrical outlets that has left me stumped. It'd be great if someone could give some advice. I’ll try to keep it short and simple so you guys won’t have to read too much.
  • All outlets in living room are on one circuit labeled “living room” on circuit breaker.
  • There are 3 outlets in the living room that SOMETIMES works, but most of the time it doesn't.
  • The outlet that we use a lot is the middle outlet between the 3 outlets, with the lamp plugged into it. Sometimes when we plug in or turn on the lamp, the light will flash and all 3 outlets are out again.
  • The breaker switch isn't tripped, and the other outlets in the living room (like the one with tv plugged in) are still working just fine, and they're on the same circuit.
  • I checked all GFI outlets around the house, resetting/testing and what not, and it’s not a GFI trip.
  • I opened up the wallplates and tightened all screws on outlets and this didn't work either.
  • I changed all 3 outlets to brand new ones.
  • After changing all the outlets to new ones, it(roomba charger, decorative lights) worked just fine, then maybe an hour later, i turned on the lamp and it went out again and we're back to square one.
Before we call an electrician, does anyone have any clue what could be the problem?

I'll insert a photo so you guys have something to look at if it's any help haha.
https://imgur.com/a/QRx9v2q

The red circles are the 3 outlets that go out and don't work. Green circles are the outlets on the same circuit that still have power even after those other 3 go out, and aren't working. You can see the lamp in the corner. I think the connection of outlets end behind the fireplace, because there is only one wire connected to that one, while the 2 other red outlets on the left have 2 wires to them.

Thanks for reading! Hoping someone could help me "doitMYself".

Old 06-20-18, 04:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would remove the covers and pull the outlets out of their boxes so they are sticking out in the open and supported by the wires. Plug things back in. The next time things stop working I would carefully check the wires for power without jigging or moving the outlets or wires. Hopefully you'll see how far the power is getting before it stops. Where it stops is likely your problem. There could be a broken conductor or worst case a hidden junction box buried in the wall somewhere underneath the sheetrock.

Old 06-20-18, 07:43 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Be sure to move any backstabs to the screws.

Old 06-20-18, 08:34 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Since the fireplace seems to be the "end" -
Did you open and inspect the outlets that are Green?
It's possible the connection in in the over head light too. (maybe even likely). If you open the light take pictures or a drawing before you start moving things around. (assuming the light is on the same circuit - the connection may also be in a box that switches the overhead light)

What is upstairs? - if its an attic there may be a junction box

Old 06-20-18, 05:46 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The person who did the outlets before used the backstabs, so i took them out and screwed the wires in. I realize that my idiot self didn't think to check the working green outlets. I was focused too much on all 3 outlets that weren't working, not thinking that the connection between the non working and working outlet might be loose. Thanks for the ideas, I'll check those, along with the switch box too, and let you guys know how it goes.

Go tribe!

Old 06-20-18, 05:50 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Any wirenuts in the switch box need to be undone, checked for corrosion, and redone.

Old 06-23-18, 08:19 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I realize that my idiot self didn't think to check the working green outlets.

Problems like this are almost always found at the last working outlet or the first non-working outlet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: