Submersible water pump gfci

Old 06-19-18, 07:46 PM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Submersible water pump gfci

Hello,

Our submersible water pump wouldn’t start last time we were up at the lake. The pump supplies all our water needs.

Our neighbour came over and noticed the breaker was tripped. We tried resettting it, but it kept tripping. He did some tests (rewired the pump to another circuit and it worked fine without tripping the different breaker). He then rewired it back to the gfci breaker but didn’t hook up the gfci function.??.....if that makes any sense. The pump is hooked up to to the gfci breaker but does not have gfci protection. The pump is now working as normal. I think he didn’t hook up the pigtail?

So I’ve obviously lost gfci protection so my neighbour thinks the actual breaker is faulty. These things are like$300 in Canada so want to be sure before replacing it.

1. Do you agree the breaker is faulty?

2. The pump is in our lake and we swim about 50-75 feet away from the pump. Is it dangerous or is the breaker itself still offering some protection?

3. are gfci breakers required in these scenarios? I’ve found conflicting info.

Thx

Attached Images  
Old 06-19-18, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
1. Do you agree the breaker is faulty?
No..... doubtful. I'd put money on the pump having a ground fault leak. Usually caused by a leaking gasket and allowing water into the motor.

The pump can be tested using an ohmmeter. Using a higher resistance setting on the meter.... check from each power wire to ground. There should be no continuity measured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: