Electical Extender Boxes and Kitchen Backsplash

Old 06-20-18, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electical Extender Boxes and Kitchen Backsplash

Hi,
I'm replacing a tiled backsplash in the kitchen with a full height slab quartz backsplash (not tiles but large slabs). The existing backsplash has been removed and I see the outlet and phone jack boxes are flush with drywall (so they were not built to accommodate tiled backsplash).

New backsplash is 1" thick. I've heard from two different people at the stone vendor, one saying I needed to install extenders for the boxes and one saying I did not (his point was quartz is not flammable). I live in Chicago, not sure what the code here says.

I've bought the Carlon blue extenders (figure safe vs sorry, seems better to use than not since they are not expensive).

Question is, should I put the extenders in prior to the guys installing the backsplash, or install them after backsplash is up? Concern with before is that they won't be able to maneuver the slab over the extender due to the tabs. Concern with after is that outlet cutouts would prevent install (which would also be problem for doing it before).

Secondary question, do I need extender for the phone jack? I understand that is low voltage so probably would not require it...but I have an extra one so why not?

I realize I'm overthinking this but wondering if anyone has opinion. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-18, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
The NEC requires boxes to be set back no more than 1/4" from a non combustible finish. You need extenders. You may need to install them so the holes can be cut accurately.

Old 06-20-18, 02:33 PM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
I would install the extenders after the slab is installed, be sure the installers leave notches for the mounting screws of the receptacles, I donít see how the extenders could be mounted first.
Geo

Old 06-20-18, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
I like this style of extension. They come in different thickness and can be stacked.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ReceptXtenders-1-Gang-1-2-in-Electrical-Receptacle-Box-Extension-Ring-00004/100159668

Old 06-22-18, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation that code requires the extenders. I slipped them onto the outlets but didn't attach to the box. Guys showed up to install the backsplash, turns out they cut it wrong so will be at least a week or more before they come back (need to find matching slab, cut it, etc).

I did check one outlet against the cutout and it fit nicely, and confirmed with the installer they would cut notches if needed.