220v circuit problems

Old 06-22-18, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220v circuit problems

I am experiencing problems on three 220v circuits that are in my equipment garage. When I test each at the breaker, I get 120v at each breaker to the neutral bar but 0v between the two breakers. Test at the outlet reveal the same results. All of my 110v circuits on both sides of the box work fine.

Please excuse any errors in my terminology. Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-18, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your electric is 120/240v.
You've lost one of your hot legs. One leg is good and that is the 120v you are seeing on both legs. You need to measure 240v across both legs to actually have 240v.

If this is a sub panel.... you may have to go back and measure at the main panel. Shut off all the 240v breakers in the sub panel and then check.

Old 06-22-18, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pete. I don't have a sub panel. When testing the volts at for each leg at the breaker (red lead to wire at the breaker and black lead to neutral bar) I have 120v. When testing both legs at the outlet I have 120v (red lead to hot and black lead to ground). When testing across both legs at the outlet I have 0v. This is also the case for 2 other 240v circuits in my garage. None of the breakers have ever tripped. I pulled the breakers and inspected all the wires for these circuits. and cannot find any defects.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? Thanks

Old 06-22-18, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
I would turn the main breaker off and check the line wiring coming in from the meter.
Posting a picture or two of the inside of your panel allows us to help you better.
How-to-insert-pictures