New stovetop 3 to 4 wire

Old 06-24-18, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New stovetop 3 to 4 wire

First time to post on a forum. Just took out my old stovetop to put in a new one. The old top was a three wire ( red,black,white ) and the new one is a four wire ( red,black,white,bare) but I noticed the house wire is is normal 110v wiring (black, white,bare). I havenít hooked it up and willl be calling a electrician but is something that will require pulling new wire to make it correct or is there a way around it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-18, 01:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
but I noticed the house wire is is normal 110v wiring (black, white,bare)
House electric is 120 or 240 or 120/240. The same cable is used for all three in the U.S. (Canada varies)-. You have straight 240 only 2-conductor cable (ground is not counted). If the stovetop name plate says 120/240 you will need new cable.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-25-18 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 07:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I agree that it sounds like you need a new cable. Usually this would be 10-3g or 8-3g depending on the power requirement of the stove top. You can find the kW or amp rating in the installation manual or on a nameplate stamped somewhere on the device.

Old 06-25-18, 10:17 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Sounds like you have 10-2 installed and your old stove top was wired in 3 wire connection, but using incorrect type of the cable. Or your may had 240V only cook top. Bard ground wire was probably being used as neutral/ground. However, this is not allowed unless SE cable is used. White wire is supposed to be marked with a black (or red or blue) tape to show it is hot not neutral.

The cook top will work if white and bare wires are both connected to bare wire from the cable and red to white, black to black.
However, this is illegal wiring. Your electrical may make such a connection which I have seen being done all the time. In my opinion, it is not that dangerous and would connect such a way in my house if pulling new cable is not going to be easy. However, I would not do it to other people's house.
If your cable is 8-2, which will have 10 AWG ground, then I would not do it even in my house.