Microwave receptacle question

Old 06-26-18, 02:49 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Microwave receptacle question

Hi all,

Question, my girlfriend bought a house last year built in the 70's. Had a good bit of remodeling done, with new kitchen cabinets put in, and a new stove. So we picked out a new over the range microwave to put in, and I was watching a couple video's to make sure I could do the task at hand.
My question is the electrical outlet is above the cabinet that would be over the range. Most of the video's I see show you install the microwave and you run the cord into the cabinet that is right above the microwave. Is it mandatory that plug be in there, because it's 3 or 4 inches above the top of the cabinet, not in the cabinet. I am thinking I could just drill another hole in top of cabinet to run cord out and lay on top of cabinet and plug in wall. Otherwise, I'm assuming I will need to cut a new hole into the cabinet, drywall, and run a new line in the wall down a few inches to a new old work gang box in the cabinet, which will be a lot of work.

Can somebody please advise what I have to do in a case like this? Thank you in advance for the info.

Old 06-26-18, 03:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If your cord is long enough, that is what you should do. Get a couple grommets for your holes... the ones that computer desk wires go through.

Old 06-26-18, 04:13 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Does it also have an exhaust fan built into it? If so due to the 50% rule it will probably need to be on a dedicated circuit.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-26-18 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-26-18, 03:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The instructions for an over the range MW will call for a dedicated circuit.

Old 06-27-18, 01:51 AM
O
Thanks, it's a dedicated circuit I believe. The old microwave use to be there but the cabinets were much different hence why the plug is not going to line up to where the new cabinets are.

Old 06-27-18, 04:31 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
I see show you install the microwave and you run the cord into the cabinet that is right above the microwave. Is it mandatory that plug be in there, because it's 3 or 4 inches above the top of the cabinet, not in the cabinet.
So, your new cabinet is shorter or mounted lower?

You can drill a hole and pull microwave cord above the cabinet if above the cabinet will be still accessible and the cord is long enough. Otherwise, you will have to lower the outlet.

Old 06-29-18, 02:22 PM
O
Yea, new cabinet is mounted a little lower than old cabinet. Which means the outlet is now a couple inches above the top of new cabinets. Can't really see it from eye level looking up in the room, so it's not some eye sore. I just didn't know if it was code that the outlet HAD to be in the cabinet above the range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: