Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Not Sure How to Remove Recessed Can - Trying to Install Retrofit LED

Old 06-26-18, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I purchased Halo retrofit recessed LEDs for my kitchen. I already replaced the other recessed lights in my house, and the install was a breeze. The cans in my kitchen seem different. They have no spot for torsion springs and seem to be lower quality. It looks like they are by Lightolier (Part #IL-9596). I accidentally unclicked the light socket, and now I can't get it back into place. I am trying to remove the white trim piece, but it will not budge. Is there a trick to getting these out of the ceiling? Should I just replace them with HALO cans? I appreciate any help!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-18, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
The white trim is held with gripping springs above the ceiling. It will just pull down. You might have to break the seal between the ceiling and the paint. They can sometimes get stuck together. You could try gently prying with a putty knife.

One thing to note: These can trims are the "can", there is no other housing.

Old 06-26-18, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
The white trim is held with gripping springs above the ceiling. It will just pull down. You might have to break the seal between the ceiling and the paint. They can sometimes get stuck together. You could try gently prying with a putty knife.

One thing to note: These can trims are the "can", there is no other housing.
Thanks. I did break the seal with the ceiling, but I can only get it down about 1". I can't seem to pull it any further. I was able to remove one of the other ones with minimal effort. Should I just pull it really hard? Can this trim hold one of the retrofit/recessed LEDs, or should I replace it with a different housing?

Old 06-27-18, 04:57 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi, give that trim a slight twist as you are pulling down.
Geo

Old 06-27-18, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 40 Posts
For what it's worth, the last time I ran into cans like that, I opted to get LED R-30 bulbs and left the cans as-is. I couldn't figure out how to get the retrofit trims to sit nicely in the cans.

Old 06-27-18, 09:53 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
I donít believe the retro kits are designed to fit into that frame, if you have access above it would be fairly easy to replace that frame.
Geo