Add receptacle to 240V line

Old 06-26-18, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add receptacle to 240V line

I have a 240V line running through basement from panel to an oven. Can I add a junction box and splice in another line that will end in a receptacle for another 240V appliance? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-18, 05:20 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi, you can certainly install a junction box, cable must be the same size and conductors must be the same material ie. copper or aluminum, what is the new appliance, is the cable the right size?
Geo

Old 06-27-18, 06:47 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
In the vast majority of cases you cannot run appliances off of both receptacles at the same time.

Appliances are rated to be used on a branch circuit with no more than so many amps and the cord plug implies that amperage rating. (Small appliances and also lights and household electronics with "ordinary" 120 volt plugs are rated for 20 amp circuits.)

Appliances require so many amps and for large appliances this is usually more than half of its maximum branch circuit rating.

So trying to use both receptacles at the same time will usually trip the breaker.

The (each) receptacle must match the branch circuit amperage (breaker) rating so you cannot run appliances with different ratings (and plugs) on the same circuit.

It is customary, and some cities' codes require, that 120 volt circuits over 20 amps and 240 volt circuits have just one receptacle (at the end) or be hard wired to the appliance although the case can be made for multiple receptacles on the same branch circuit so a large portable appliance or tool can be used at different locations in the room. I think that kitchen (stove) and laundry (dryer) 240 volt circuits must be single purposed with just one receptacle at the end.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-27-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks much for the replies, still have some questions, especially branch circuit...

I'm trying to find the cheapest (safe of course) way of getting power to a vintage (1950) power saw that is currently wired for 240V (can be converted to 120 but needs a 15a time delay fuse in a 15a branch circuit, whatever that is). It has a 3 wire plug that looks like a 6-15P except the 3rd prong is total round (not flattened off on bottom). The saw is rated for 120V/240V, 13a/6.5a. Frame 245. The 240V line runs through my workshop so that's why I was thinking of splicing in a 240V receptacle. The breaker is two 30a breakers barred together. The 240V wire is labeled 10/3 W/G Type NM-B. If I want to run a new 240V branch circuit, I would need to buy the breakers, thus was trying to splice in to existing.

I guess I could convert the saw to 120V (it is a simple change to the current wiring and run a dedicated 15A branch circuit but how would I handle the current 240V plug and cord? Can I remove the plug and replace with a 120V 3-prong and use the same cord that is on the saw? It also requires a 15a time delay fuse - is this a special type of circuit breaker or an actual fuse?

Sorry for all the questions but am trying to not burn my house down...Thanks!

I can say for certain that the saw and the oven, which would be on the same 240 breaker, will never be run at the same time (it's one of the double ovens and not used).

Old 06-27-18, 10:47 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Sorry for all the questions but am trying to not burn my house down...Thanks!

Then forget the junction box and install a new circuit.