Light Switch Wiring Nightmare

Old 06-28-18, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light Switch Wiring Nightmare

Hello Everyone,
I'm a first time homeowner and we've had the house for a while and our living room should have a 3 way switch for the living room light and a two way switch for the outdoor porch light from the little knowledge I've dug up on Google. We have a light switch on one side of the room that does correctly operate the living room light, but on the panel by the door I have the wiring nightmare seen in the picture. When we purchased the house none of the wiring was correct and the seller tried and failed to find the correct wiring. Now it's time for me to tackle this armed with a multi-meter and some tylenol for the ensured headache. Ive been doing some probing and have found that probed A to B shows 120v and probed A to D shows 120v but not found anywhere else. Any advice or help or links to helpful content is MUCH appreciated.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 06-28-18 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Add image
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 01:23 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
and a two way switch for the outdoor porch light
A 2-way switch is what the British call a 3-way switch. The term is not used in the U.S. It's just a regular light switch.

Tiny pic can not be used for pictures. Here is how to add pictures: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html Please post a picture of the other switch box.

Old 06-28-18, 06:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
If you can ring out the cables with a multimeter on continuity to see where they go it will be helpful.

Old 06-29-18, 07:09 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi, looks like 2 cables in that box, 1 is a 3 wire and 1 should be a 2 wire, forgetting the grounds, straighten the conductors out pulling them straight out, measure between white and black in the 2 wire cable, let us know the readings.
Geo