Wall switch for LED

Old 06-28-18, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall switch for LED

Hi all

My first visit.
Trying to wire in two new pendant low voltage LED fixtures. They replace older halogen
12 volt fixtures. Very peculiar results.
First, both LEDs lit, but blinked. I switched back to halogen, using old bulbs. One bulb blew. When I went to buy a replacement I was talked into changing the wall switch to one that can accommodate LEDs. ( Both old and new are dimmers)
Now, I get light at only one fixture.
And at the new switch I get only 12 volts when the on. When off, I get 120 at the hot post.
ANY help and advice appreciated. I'm a life-long handiman who can usually deal with basic wiring issues.

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-18, 10:15 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I get 120 at the hot post.
What is a hot post and what did you use to measure? To where did you measurer? Is this a dimmer not a switch?

Old 06-29-18, 06:21 AM
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Hi, you get 12 VAC on one side of the switch when its ON and 120 volts when itís OFF, there should be a transformer between that switch and the lights.
Post some pics of the switch wiring etc.
Geo

Old 06-29-18, 09:57 AM
Thanks Ray and Geo.
Subsequent to my post I realized that the fact that there is a transformer between the switch and the light means that when on the switch will read 12 v. In fact there are two transformers, as there are two fixtures.

It is a dimmer , and when I said "hot" I meant the + post that connects to the power line. I'm using my multi-meter from that post to ground to see 120 volts with the switch off. Switch on, I see 12 volts between the + and t he - posts.

Sorry if I don't have the terminology right. (-:

So my remaining problem is that only one fixture will light, the one nearest the switch. I will open up the ceiling box on the far/end fixture this morning and see if I can figure what's up.

John

Old 06-29-18, 11:55 AM
So - I exposed the ceiling box for the dark light. There are 120 volts at the box.

Is there a way to test the transformer? That's the only thing left, I think.

I did change places for the fixtures and proved that its not a miswired fixture that is the problem.

Am I missing something?

Many thanks

John

Old 06-29-18, 08:16 PM
Hi, post a pic of the wiring for the transformers, the dimmer should not be feeding the transformer, who is the mfg. of the new fixtures? any specís on them?
Geo

Old 06-30-18, 03:09 PM
Whoops - my post disappeared. I'll try again.

All parts of the systme seem compatible. The Leviton Dimmer with Slide Bar DSLO6 says its good for
"Dimmable LED/CFL.." and all others. The VIVID MR16 bulb says it is dimmable. The Fixture is a Tech Lighting single port canopy with pendant that came with the LEDs.

Can't seem to attach a photo, but I'm 90% sure the wiring is exactly as instructed.

I hope it is the transformer, and Lamps Plus is ending me a replacement gratis. I'll let you kmnow if that works.

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

John

Old 06-30-18, 04:19 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Old 06-30-18, 05:33 PM
Yo, if those are the fixtures I think they are, the transformer mounts up inside the junction box, is it a cable type pendant? Expensive fixtures but somewhat problematic.
Geo

Old 06-30-18, 05:40 PM
That's right, each pendant has its own transformer in its box, and it is a cable type. And yes indeedy, they are fussy, and pricey.

john

Old 06-30-18, 07:33 PM
Which transformer do you have? There should be 4 leads on the transformer, 2 are connected to 120 volts the other 2 should be connected to the fixture, measure the voltage between those 2 conductors, post the model # of the transformer.
I would forget the dimmer for now also.
How many line voltage conductors are in the first box where the fixture works?
Geo