Some but not all Outlets and Fan Dead

Old 06-29-18, 12:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some but not all Outlets and Fan Dead

There are 3 outlets and a fan in one of my guest bedrooms that lost power to them a little while ago. I work around the house frequently but cannot correlate it to a specific project that I did. The breaker box has a GFCI breaker listed for the Master BR/BA and BED 4. Popping that breaker turns off the rest of the breakers in that room. Of the working outlets and lights in that room I haven't seen any issues with broken wires and no working outlets are back stabbed. I have traced the all the actually hot wires to a dead end except for one switch which was put in after the house was built for recessed lighting (Previous owners must have put that in but not sure when; house was built in 2007 though). I did jump that switch over to the dead light switch and it powered all the outlets and fan. In that room specifically there are some back stabbed outlets that I'm in the process of trying to wire to the screw but I'm having a hard time getting them to release and am hesitant to just cut them (all back stabbed outlets are dead outlets). I've been troubleshooting this for a little bit and am kind of lost. I feel like it may actually be getting power from a different circuit because the master bed and bath have a lot of outlets without the guest bedroom included and its only a 15 amp breaker. I'm sure I could have done a better job explaining but I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

Old 06-29-18, 12:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
all back stabbed outlets are dead outlets
No mystery where to start then. Move all wires to the screws. If two wires on a terminal pigtail to the associated screw.

Old 06-29-18, 01:17 PM
M
I just figured out how to release the back stabbed wires and as you were typing this i did all wires to the screw. I'll start on doing it in the master BR because I know some of the good outlets get it from over on a shared wall.

Old 06-29-18, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The problem could be at the last working or first non-working device.

Old 06-29-18, 02:28 PM
M
Yeah I know. That's where I started but everything looks fine and I have rewired all back stab wires in that area. Only one outlet on the shared wall between the guest bedroom and the master bedroom remains but I'll have to get that in the morning because I have to dismantle the bed to get to it.

Old 07-01-18, 10:40 AM
M
Ok so I changed any outlets that had multiple black and white wires back stabbed. No joy with the dead outlets. Im going to give you guys a photographic representation and description. Pardon the mess. We are getting ready for a move and this property is turning into a rental. The room with the white bed frame is the master and shares a wall with the closet of the guest bedroom with the dead outlets. I should say that all the outlets on the shared wall in both rooms work. For ease i have circled any working outlets in red and any non-working outlets in yellow. In bewteen the 2 rooms is the ac room and it has 1 outlet on the circuit. Only 3 wires go to that outlet and it works. The room with the brown bed is the guest room. As you can see the switch on the left (circled in red) works and powers the recessed lighting. The switch right next to is circled in yellow powers the fan but isn't getting 120V and neither are the outlets below it and away from the master (in the picture down and to the left).

Again I'm lost. Maybe some of my assumptions are bad. Can they run multiple wires out of the breaker box on the same breaker?

Attached Images      
Old 07-01-18, 11:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Check the connections at the double switch.

Old 07-01-18, 11:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Remove and redo any wire nuts. Check that wire nuts aren't corroded inside and have gripper springs.

Old 07-01-18, 02:27 PM
M
Removed and inspected all wire nuts previously. Didn't see any corrosion and even if they had some all wires were twisted so well I imagine they would have a connection without the wire nuts.

By double switch did you mean the panel with 3 switches? The other switches are all single but the recessed lighting switch was put in after the house was built and goes up toward ceiling. Connections look good on both switches though. I jumped from the good switch to the bad switch and the outlets work great.... I'm tempted to just jump them but I know that's not the right answer.

Old 07-06-18, 06:47 PM
M
Thanks for all the help guys. It ended up being a box above the room in the unfinished attic. All the wires in that one were only stuck into a wire nut and screwed on. No twists or anything. I'll add that one to my toolbox!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: