Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Underground electrical conduit bringing water to the basement

Underground electrical conduit bringing water to the basement

Old 07-01-18, 07:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Underground electrical conduit bringing water to the basement

We upgraded from a 100 AMP Service to a 200 AMP Service. New wires were needed from the pedestal in the backyard to the meter on the house. The contractor placed Schedule 40, 3" electric conduit and placed a pull wire for the utility company. The problem is that location of pedestal ponds water and now water travels through the conduit to my house and floods my crawlspace. I completed some research and found products such as Polywater Foam Duct Sealant that could hopefully seal it.Two Questions: 1) When I do any minor electrical work in my house I always flip the breaker. I do not have a way to turn off the electricity at the pedestal. I can dig down with a shovel until I hit the conduit and work my way towards the pedestal, and then dig around the area were the wires enter the conduit. Then with some rags and hand tools prep the opening. I planned on calling the utility company and have them shut the power down at the pedestal. Do contractors typically do this work with the power on, since your not actually making a connection and the wire is insulated?2) How would you recommend sealing the conduit, what procedure or product do you recommend.Thanks!PS I have already sealed the crack in the crawlspace where the water was coming in at. I just do not want the water coming to my house and finding another way to get in.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-18, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 66 Posts
It is always bets for DIYer's and homeowners to shut off the power when doing any electrical work. In my line of work this is not always possible so, yes, I commonly do work hot.

Conduit underground will commonly fill up with water. The water does not have to enter at an end, it will enter underground so this may not solve your issue.

Old 07-01-18, 11:24 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
The problem is that location of pedestal ponds water and now water travels through the conduit to my house and floods my crawlspace.
I've seen this problem a few times, but more often it's a transformer location that ponds and when the end of the conduit is lower than grade it acts as a drain for the full watershed around the transformer. The fix is simple, but requires coordination with the power company. Extend the conduit up a few inches. Just putting a coupling on the end of the conduit might be enough. But.....there's always a but. This requires the power company to disconnect the wiring at the pedestal and your contractor being there to extend the conduit.