Ground Bar - Main Service Panel

Old 07-03-18, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground Bar - Main Service Panel

I am working on cleaning up my main panel as it is currently exceeds maximum number of circuits. My plan is to add a 100amp sub-panel, but I first need to clean up the main panel to make room to add the breaker, and run the neutral and ground wires. My questions on grounding are specific to the MAIN panel.

Currently all of the ground wires (all 42 or so) are under one large bolt. I wanted to add a auxiliary ground bar.

1 - Does the main grounding wire from outside need to attach to the ground bar, or can the ground bar just be bonded to the panel?

2. - If the ground wires to not reach, can extensions be crimped on? Is it one 1 ground per extension, or can multiple grounds be crimped to a single extension.

3. The ground wire from the sub-panel - does that need to connect at the same point as the main ground from outside, or can that go to any point bonded to the main panel.

Panel in Cuttler Hammer from around 1980 +/- a year.

thanks is advance.

Attached Images     

Last edited by Daniel Bligh; 07-03-18 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-18, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
You can double up grounds of the same size in the neutral bar or add an auxiliary ground bar and move the grounding conductors to it. The multiple grounds in the lug is not correct . Additional length can be spliced on if needed.

Old 07-03-18, 10:57 AM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
1 - Does the main grounding wire from outside need to attach to the ground bar, or can the ground bar just be bonded to the panel?
No! The Grounding Electrode Conductor must connect to the neutral bus. The object is to ground the neutral. There should be a lug on the neutral bus to accommodate the GEC.