Installing dimmer switch but existing wiring is old...

Old 07-05-18, 04:58 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing dimmer switch but existing wiring is old...

Trying to install a dimmer switch. I was attempting to do It myself but I ran into a problem. Not familiar with the old wiring. The switch had the wires wrapped around a screw on the side. Only two wires, a white wire and a black. The black wire runs from the bottom to the top and the middle was stripped and looped around the bottom screw.

The lutron dimmer switch I bought has four wires running out. The YouTube videos I saw, all the switches have 3 wires. So confused, please help a girl out.

Old 07-05-18, 07:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On the new dimmer do you have black, white, red, and green?

Old 07-05-18, 07:46 PM
P
The new dimmer has black, green, red and red with white stripes.

Old 07-05-18, 08:22 PM
The black wire runs from the bottom to the top and the middle was stripped and looped around the bottom screw.
Where does the wire go after the switch?

Old 07-05-18, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
You have two wires connecting the old switch. Remove the white and black wires from the old switch. Connect the black wire to the black of the dimmer. Connect the white wire to the red of the dimmer. Cap off the red w/white stripe.

If the box is metal then the green wire is not particularity needed. If there is a screw terminal inside the box..... you can connect the green wire there. If there is no place to attach the green wire..... cap it off and install the switch.

Old 07-06-18, 09:23 AM
P
Thank you all! How do I connect the black wire when it doesn't have an endpoint? The old black wire is stripped in the middle and the middle stripped piece was looped around the screw of the old switch.

Old 07-06-18, 09:59 AM
Normally you cut it in two and connect the two ends to the dimmer. However the wire should not go anywhere else if this is switch loop which it appears to be. Where does the rest of the wire go? Do you have Knob andTtube wiring?

Old 07-06-18, 10:11 AM
P
I don't think it's knob and tube. The wire appears to go down the wall towards the floor and the other end towards the ceiling. Thank you for your help. I might need to call.an electrician out 😣

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: