Installing New Electrical Outlets

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-18, 05:56 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing New Electrical Outlets

I'm mounting our TV in the bedroom on the wall. Below the tv is an electrical outlet and I'm fairly sure (I hope) that the wires come from the attic.

I want to hide all wires and cables for the tv, so moving the electrical outlet up and behind the tv should be straight forward (if wires do go up to attic).
I'm having a small wall cabinet built that will enclose the tv and it'll have a shelf below the tv where my sound bar, apple tv. bell box etc.. will sit.
I was thinking of adding a second electrical outlet there. If so, how would I wire that one? Just wire the two outlets together? Thx!

Old 07-06-18, 06:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
so moving the electrical outlet up and behind the tv should be straight forward (if wires do go up to attic).
That would depend on where the cable is stapled.

how would I wire that one? Just wire the two outlets together?
Yes. You may have to pigtail the wires if both sets of screws are in use in the existing box.

Old 07-06-18, 11:45 AM
Z
I opened it up and there are 2 romex cables 2 whites on one side and the two blacks on the other) and they go to the attic.
I'm eliminating the current outlet. How would I wire the 2 new outlets if there are 2 romex cables?

Old 07-06-18, 11:59 AM
Z
Sorry, I got ahead of myself. Upon further inspection, there's a blue romex cable that goes through the stud to the right somewhere and there's a white romex that looks like it's headed left towards my bathroom.
I hope I can still get this done. Help! :-)

Old 07-06-18, 12:06 PM
You need to add a new receptacle not try to remove the existing one.

Old 07-06-18, 12:21 PM
Z
I cut the wires and now the blue romex isn't quite long enough to reach the existing receptacle.

Old 07-06-18, 01:34 PM
You will need to splice it. Are you sure it is Romex? Blue is not a usual color.

Just to be clear the box can not be removed unless you plan to rip open the wall allthe way to next receptacle on either side and from the box to your new location that or abandon those receptcles cable and run all new. That is why I wrote:
You need to add a new receptacle not try to remove the existing one
The cables are stapled inside the wall.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-06-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-06-18, 01:57 PM
Z
Here's a pic of the wires.

I have decided to only go with one new outlet above where the other one use to be. If you could explain in more detail what to do I'd be grateful. Thanks Ray.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzekx9bpml...B1%5D.JPG?dl=0

Old 07-06-18, 04:52 PM
Z
As mentioned above, the blue romex doesn't reach the existing receptacle anymore. You said I need to splice it. Are you suggesting to splice a new piece of romex to the blue one so that I can reconnect the existing outlet? If so, the connections where I splice it wouldn't be inside the box which doesn't sound safe. Can you explain what you meant.

Old 07-06-18, 06:04 PM
Why do you have a big hole cut in the wall? I thought you said there was a receptacle.

Old 07-06-18, 06:28 PM
Z
The receptacle is just below that. I cut the hole to see where the wires went.
As mentioned above, the blue romex doesn't reach the existing receptacle anymore. You said I need to splice it. Are you suggesting to splice a new piece of romex to the blue one so that I can reconnect the existing outlet? If so, the connections where I splice it wouldn't be inside the box which doesn't sound safe. Can you explain what you meant.

Old 07-06-18, 06:31 PM
Z
If anyone else wants to jump in and help me with this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 07-06-18, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 104 Votes on 90 Posts
You will need to add a junction box on the cable that is too short . The box cannot be buried.

the lower receptacle needs to stay to meet the spacing requirements of the code.

Old 07-06-18, 07:34 PM
Z
Thanks pcboss for your reply!

i still need to install the new receptacle behind the tv above all this mess. :-)
Would this work? Drywall over the existing receptacle. Then add a junction box above it where “the big hole” is, let’s say. Pigtail the two white wires from the 2 comex cables and then do the same with the two black wires. Enclose all this in the new junction box and then run the two new single black and white wires (that were pigtailed with the other wires) up to the new receptacle. Would this solution work and would it be to code?

Old 07-06-18, 07:56 PM
Tips: When cutting hole you should always cut them to fit an old work box. However just to take a look it's better to remove an existing box by cutting the nails that hold it to the with a Sawzall or hacksaw blade. Wires are usually stapled to the stud so don't count on moving them.

Old 07-06-18, 08:23 PM
Z
Ray, you’ve been giving me ambiguous answers for about 8 hours. I told you I was “moving” the outlet. Then after I cut the wires you then tell me I shouldn’t move it. Then I ask you how to fix it and you want to know why I cut a hole in the wall. Now you’re hijacking my latest question with instructions on how to cut drywall.

Old 07-06-18, 09:13 PM
Sorry if I confused you. I didn't expect you to start working till all the details were worked out. These plans evolve as more info is received. As more info is received plans evolve.I suggest you call an electrician.

Old 07-06-18, 09:23 PM
Z
That’s funny. You're a moderator..

Last edited by Gunguy45; 07-07-18 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Removed rude remarks.
Old 07-07-18, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What's funny is that you are on a free site, getting free advice, in a relatively timely manner and you just go ahead and start cutting and pulling w/o having a real clue about electrical construction (obviously) or updating the thread at each step before you proceeded.

What was so all fired vital that you get this done today or within the span of a few hours? If you had taken the time, you probably would have avoided disconnected electrical boxes, hot dangling wires in walls, and large holes that will need repair.

You could have gone in the attic, spliced in a new line up there, maybe drilled one hole if needed, dropped the cable down in the wall, cut an old work size hole and it would have been maybe a couple of hour job.

But no, you come back and insult the person that was TRYING to help you for the last 14 hrs.

Now that's funny!

Have a nice day tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: