how to add outdoor outlets by the patio

Old 07-09-18, 08:29 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to add outdoor outlets by the patio

I am looking to add outlets by our patio to plug in pumps for an intex above ground pool. there are two devices
intex pump 637R ac 110/120 V 1.4amp, 99 watt
intex saltwater system eco5510 110/120 V 0.6amp, 65 watt.

I have outside outlets on the house on a 15 amp breaker.
Can I tap into the existing outlet and run wire about 50 feet underground? what wire and do I need to use pvc or other housing?

(I am assuming that running extension cords to these two devices would not be the best choice but it would certainly be simpler and cheaper if it is safe.

these devices both have very large gfci plugs on them so I would need two separate outlets and a waterproof box big enough to handle these monstrous plugs.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
thank you

Old 07-10-18, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Can I tap into the existing outlet and run wire about 50 feet underground? what wire and do I need to use pvc or other housing?
Yes. You can come off that existing receptacle. You can either use PVC conduit and individual conductors (hot, neutral, ground) and bury it 18", or you can use UF cable and bury it 24". If you GFCI protect the cable before it enters the ground, (IE: install a GFCI at the existing receptacle and connect the cable to the LOAD side of the GFCI) and it is 20 amps or less you can bury it 12".

If you do use cable, you will still need to protect it as it comes up from the 12" or 24" in the ground.

Old 07-11-18, 01:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
UF cable cannot be used for pools. The ground has to be insulated . What room are you thinking about extending from?

Old 07-11-18, 07:01 AM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the responses.
pcboss, I want to come out of an outlet on the outside of the house.
Do you have any suggestions for a waterproof box for the outlets that would be large enough for the two overlarge gfci plugs?
thanks

Old 07-12-18, 06:58 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
You'll have to use two single gang boxes set a few inches apart with a conduit nipple between them. I've never seen an oversized two gang exterior box or cover.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: