2 heaters, 1 thermostat in middle

Old 07-16-18, 05:44 PM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
2 heaters, 1 thermostat in middle

Current setup has a heater with built in thermostat.
The source goes to heater 1, then a parallel connection to the thermostat and then onto heater 2.

What I want to do is have the thermostat control both and remove the built in thermostat.
I know how to make the connection so that the themrostat controls heater 1 but how do I reconnect heater 2 with the new setup? Do I just parallel wire nut in heater 2 to both lines of the tstat?

1st image is current setup.
2nd image is what I want to do but not sure about 2nd heater.

Attached Images   
Old 07-16-18, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Heaters will need to be on the same circuit unless you have a relay, contactor, or the thermostat is low voltage.

You will need to add some wires. How this is done will depend on your situation and what is easiest for you. You either need to run the line wires to the stat first, then to each heater. Or add another set of wires from the first heater to the stat, and a set of wires from the stat to the 2nd heater.

Old 07-16-18, 06:44 PM
Q
These are all on the same circuit.
Since the thermostat cuts one leg of the hot, is not possible just to piggy tail something in for the 2nd heater? Ie just wire nut in parallel in the junction box then when the thermostat opens one leg, both heaters get power?

if not then it would be easier to add a separate tstat to the first, only one cable needed then?

Old 07-17-18, 06:11 AM
Q
Actually, I suppose the one leg being on or off is controlled inside the thermostat?
i was thinking I could add a parallel connection just after the thermostat to control the second heater

Old 07-17-18, 09:22 AM
Q
Would a 12/3 wire help here?

Old 07-17-18, 05:02 PM
Q
Also, because the heaters are a tiny bit longer than the old ones, I'm finding the existing wire a bit short.
Can I put a junction box behind the heater and use a wire to bring it to the junction box in the heater so I don't have to replace any existing cable?

Old 07-17-18, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Because you are only breaking one wire of the circuit you would not have a complete circuit at the 2nd heater.

Yes, if you ran 12/3 from the first heater to the stat, you would have enough wires.

You can add a junction box, but that junction box is required to be accessible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: