Three ceiling lights - replace one with fan

Old 07-17-18, 12:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Three ceiling lights - replace one with fan

We have three recessed lights in our vaulted ceiling, controlled by two separate wall switches, both switches turn on/off all three lights. When I remove any single bulb the other two stay on. I know I can replace one of the light fixtures with a ceiling fan, I would like to have the wall switches continue to control the two remaining lights and not effect the fan operation, we will operate the fan with a pull chain. Since I can remove a bulb and retain the other two lights I know I have extra wires running to each fixture. Is there a constant hot wire going to each fixture allowing me to accomplish changing just one of the lights to a ceiling fan? And if the answer is yes, how do I do it. Vaulted ceiling, perhaps 6" - 8" space which means no way I can wiggle my "ain't svelte anymore" body up there, no access other than thru the fixture itself.
Thanks;

Old 07-17-18, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I doubt that you have any extra conductors between the boxes. What you are describing would be series wiring where taking on bulb out kills part of the circuit . That wiring scheme is not used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: