Wiring A Garage - Issue

Old 07-18-18, 10:58 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring A Garage - Issue

Hello all, this is my first post!

I've been working on gutting the garage and re-wiring everything. So far, it's been trials so far, and I've hit a roadblock. I have a breaker in the garage, with a series of outlets and outdoor (security lights) on one 20 amp breaker. The attached image shows the basic diagram for the wiring, where the gcfi is first, then to a switch, then back to an outlet. The original wiring had the outlets working just fine, but the lights wouldn't turn on. I opened all my wiring back up, and re-grounded everything, and the lights finally started to work.

Now that the lights are on, the outlets past the switch are not working. I spliced the load and line in the light switch box, and made sure that both were continuous to the outlet. Can anyone help me out in figuring why the outlets are now dead?

If you would like pictures of the outlets and switches, let me know. I just pulled the light switch out and reset the splice just in case contact wasn't being made, but no luck.

Thank you for any help!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Grid.pdf (19.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 07-18-18, 11:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Here are instructions to include pictures in your post.

Old 07-18-18, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Not sure what you did there but the wiring is not called line and load. You have black as hot and white as neutral. The white and black from the panel connect to the LINE terminals on the GFI. The white and black wires leaving the GFI are connected to the LOAD terminals. I can't tell what you did with the switch wiring but if those are running lights.... they don't break the black wire to the receptacles (2&3).

Name:  diagram.JPG
Views: 1010
Size:  47.5 KB

Old 07-19-18, 01:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
and re-grounded everything, and the lights finally started to work.
Ground is not for function. It is only for safety. Correctly wired it will function with or without grounds.

Lights should be on the line side of the GFCI. Receptacles should be on the load side of the GFC.

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 07-19-18 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 01:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Grounding.should play no part in the normal operations of the circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: