Subpanel connected to meter

Old 07-21-18, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subpanel connected to meter

Hi all,

I am looking to run power out to a shed that is detached from the house. My main breaker is inside the garage, and I could ultimately run power from there. However, outside of the house where the meter is, there appears to be a sub panel that has two 20 amp breakers installed (see picture). What would these breakers typically be used for in this case? And would it be possible to run power from this sub panel if it is a sub panel at all? I appreciate any insight!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-18, 05:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
That is your service panel not a subpanel. It has the first OCPD. The garage is a subpanel. Yes you can add a breaker there based on the remaining knockouts. To be sure pull the cover. (Occasionally there are more K/Os than spaces because the manufacturer uses the same cover on different panels.) Which panel you run from should be based on ease of installation and/or closest, and/or available open spaces.

Old 07-21-18, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
That is a 2P20A breaker and most likely is there to supply the whole house suppressor on the bottom of that panel. There should be room for one more 2P breaker.

Old 07-21-18, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both, very, very much--I truly appreciate your help! If there is indeed space for another 2P breaker, and I am wanting to power a shed about 60 feet away (a few battery chargers for tools, lights, and several outlets, but nothing like a welder or air compressor would be used within the shed), would 8/3 direct burial and a 60 amp breaker suffice? I was thinking 2P 60 amp breaker on the panel in the picture and a sub panel in the shed.

Thank you, again!

Old 07-21-18, 08:36 PM
Received 32 Votes on 26 Posts
#8cu is 40A, #6cu is 60A.