Recommended Wall plates for outlets and switches

Old 07-22-18, 08:45 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Recommended Wall plates for outlets and switches

Hi-

I am looking for some decent wall plates (white) for out outlets and light switches. I purchased a bunch of new Leviton ones but they are total junk. The plastic is very thin and bows in some cases. The biggest issue is that they are just so white and shiny and plastic looking.

I removed an old discolored light switch plate from our home and the plastic was 3-4 times thicker than the Leviton. It was very solid and had more of a matte finish. Do they still make quality plates anymore?

Thanks, sl

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-18, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 823 Votes on 773 Posts
The Depot sells a limited line of baked enamel steel plates. They are shiny but are heavy duty. They won't bend when installed. They seem to come in light colors only. I have them in my house.

Second choice is something in unbreakable vinyl. Forget about the bulk of the plates that are just plastic. They crack too easily.

Old 07-22-18, 09:23 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I will have to look into the metal ones. That is probably more along the lines of what I am looking for. Thank you.

Old 07-22-18, 11:39 AM
Received 275 Votes on 256 Posts
The metal ones at HD come in white and beige and are either smooth (shiny) or have a wrinkled texture to them.

They only carry a few different styles but most electrical supply stores have a wide selection.

The wrinkled ones are what we use and they are great, no painting so they are easy to clean and they dont cost a lot!

Old 07-22-18, 12:11 PM
T
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
I agree; I've filled my home up with the metal ones. They are great. There are a couple of styles with subtle differences.

Old 07-22-18, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
I only use the unbreakable nylon plates.