Need to add another outlet to this setup.

Old 07-22-18, 04:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to add another outlet to this setup.

Good evening. So, I have built in cabinets in the my den. On the bottom at the 'kick plate" there is an outlet. If I open the built in, and lift the bottom piece of wood I can see the TWO wires connecting to the outlet. What I am looking to do is add an outlet using these wires where as the outlet will be inside the built in. Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 07-22-18, 04:31 PM
Received 87 Votes on 82 Posts
Hi, if you can see the cables in the bottom of the cabinet, if you can remove one of the cables from the existing box and if it should be long enough to go to the new location, then just run a short piece of new cable between the outlets and you done.
Geo

Old 07-22-18, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
You will need to remove the two whites and two blacks from that receptacle. You will need to add your new wires and short tails to go to the receptacle. There will be four white wires and four black wires in two splices. There will only be one white and one black wire on the receptacle...... plus applicable grounds.

That receptacle looks pretty worn....., looks like it's do for a replacement.

Old 07-22-18, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
If the box has enough cubic inch capacity you can add a new cable to feed the new receptacle . The circuit also needs capacity if you are adding additional load.

Since you have 3 wires to connect you will need to use pigtails to connect to the device.

Old 07-22-18, 05:19 PM
S
First, thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I do plan on changing out the current receptacle. After reading the replies, i am still a little confused. Any one have a pic showing what has to be done? Thanks!

Old 07-22-18, 06:01 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Disconnect the cable you can see from the old receptacle and pull into the cabinet. Add a piece of new cable from the cabinet receptacle box to the old receptacle box.

Old 07-22-18, 06:15 PM
S
OK, there are two white, and two black. SO, basically the wires will be connected to the "NEW" box as they are in the current box. How are the wires connected to the new box from the old one? Thanks!

Old 07-22-18, 07:24 PM
First of all is there any slack in the cables now? Is one long enough to reach the the new receptacle location?
Geo

Old 07-23-18, 04:44 AM
S
Not really. I am actually looking to put the outlet before the existing one. SO, the existing is outlet is mounted on the kick plate. The wire is running under the cabinet(I have access to it). I want to put the new out let inside the cabinet where I can access the existing wire. I hope that makes sense.

Old 07-23-18, 07:55 AM
W
If I open the built in, and lift the bottom piece of wood I can see the TWO wires connecting to the outlet
Terminology is important here. In the above statement, did you mean "cables" where you said "wires"?

Old 07-23-18, 08:00 AM
S
Yes, meant cables. Sorry.
Here is a pic. of the cables underneath the wood that lead to the outlet.

Attached Images  

Last edited by sandman512; 07-23-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:20 AM
W
The two cables in the last photo seem to be coming up through the floor. Is this correct?

Do you know the cubic inches of the box in the kick plate? Trying to determine if this box is large enough to add another cable for the new receptacle.

Also, what gauge wire in the two cables?

Last edited by Wirepuller38; 07-23-18 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added text.
Old 07-23-18, 09:27 AM
Will one of those cables that are coming up through the floor reach the location of the new outlet? Is there access to those cables from underneath,like in the basement?
Geo

Old 07-23-18, 09:50 AM
S
Originally Posted by Geochurchi View Post
Will one of those cables that are coming up through the floor reach the location of the new outlet? Is there access to those cables from underneath,like in the basement?
Geo

Yes the wires through the floor will reach the new outlet as I want to put the outlet between where the wires come out of the floor and the existing outlet. No, can't access the wires in the basement
The two cables in the last photo seem to be coming up through the floor. Is this correct?

Do you know the cubic inches of the box in the kick plate? Trying to determine if this box is large enough to add another cable for the new receptacle. Also, what gauge wire in the two cables?

Yes, the wires are coming through the floor. The metal box is in the kick plate looks like a standard(if there is one) size box. Not sure on the gauge, looks like the stuff I have , 14/2/
Thanks guys!

Old 07-23-18, 10:20 AM
Great! mount the new box where you want it, shut the power off to that circuit and pull one of the cables out of the old box and bring it to the new box, from that box bring a new cable ( same size cable either 14/2 or 12/2 ) to the old location, connect whites to silver terminals on the receptacles and black to brass terminals on both receptacles.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: