Weird corrosion on lugs in panel, advice needed

Old 07-22-18, 06:14 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weird corrosion on lugs in panel, advice needed

Hello all,

Had a pre-inspection done and inspector noted corrosion (somewhere in panel). I didn't see anything at first, neutral bars and service panel overall look new.
No water inside basement, 200-AMP service 11 years old.

And then, on close inspection, some of the lugs looked weird. I took a picture of the worst. I 'ranked' them 1-4, 1 being what i think is normal, 2 is normal+ some copper colored dust stuff on the bottom corner, 2 is more of that, and 3 and 4 include white stuff on the lug and green on the wire.

Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  28.5 KB

#4 is the worst by far in the panel, and oddly enough, is a double 30 AMP breaker with the top of the double breaker looking normal, wtf?

I popped one out and the buses look normal as far as i can tell. The little white cap things on the screws, about half of them seem in the process of falling off, a few are off.

Either way, i have to get an electrician out to sign off/fix. I was considering replacing some of the breakers myself (since i've done before) to save cost maybe. I don't want to get some junior in here telling me a need a panel replacement when it might not be necessary.

Advice needed!

Thanks!!!

Name:  temp_L.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  66.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-22-18 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added enlarged view of breakers
Old 07-22-18, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
That is definitely corrosion caused by moisture.
The panel may be dry now but it looks like it had been wet at one time.

Old 07-22-18, 07:48 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 160 Votes on 142 Posts
It doesn't look bad... but for $20-30, it's probably worth it to replace the breakers to not have an issue during the sale.

Old 07-22-18, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Turn off the power, cut back the discolored wire to expose new copper. (you shouldn't need to cut more then the exposed copper) Reconnect to breaker.

Old 07-24-18, 12:34 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Might be worth tracing that #4 wire back a little bit to see if water is wicking along it from somewhere. It's weird to see corrosion on just that wire and the one below it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: