wiring digital timer

Old 07-24-18, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring digital timer

I am trying to replace a 3 way wall switch to a light fixture with a Defiant wall digital timer. The back of the new timer has 4 connections screws: Traveler; Load; Line; Neutral. I have labelled the Common (black screw) wire from the original 3 way switch. The other 2 wires from the original 3 way are black and red. On the second wall switch of the 3 way system, there are 3 wires: Common (black) wire, another black and a red. I have removed the red wire on this switch and joined it this the black common wire.
On the timer, after trying unsuccessfully to follow cryptic instructions, I have done all 6 possible permutations of the 3 wires (Common, Red and other black wires) to the Traveler, Load and Line terminals - does not work. So I'm stuck on the proper wire to which terminal. Your help much appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-18, 02:08 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have a neutral at the switch?

Last edited by ray2047; 07-24-18 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 05:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 421 Votes on 394 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you are using the timer in place of the 2) three way switches. That's do-able.
With your two switches..... there will be power at only one end and the load to the lights at the other end.
You will need to identify which is the hot end. The wire that was originally on a common screw would be hot.
Using the three wires between the switches.... you can move hot/neutral to where it's needed.

Old 07-30-18, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There was no obvious neutral. I "borrowed" one from a bulk terminal in the back of the multi switch box, and after fiddling some more, it now works.
Many Many thanks. The neutral was the key.
Peter