Power in a shed

Old 07-28-18, 10:51 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power in a shed

Hello all. I've just built a shed and am currently dragging an extension cord from a covered exterior outlet (GFCI) on my home into it to power a drill, light, etc. I'd like to have more convenient power out there when I'm in the shed, but do not want permanent power, i.e. to hook up power directly from my Main. Doing that would require a Permit and property tax reassessment.

This got me thinking. How can I have temporary power in the shed, without dragging a cord through the rain and under my shed door?

I have a Travel Trailer that uses a straight blade power inlet receptacle to run 12v into the camper, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ATXIBG/, that keeps the lights on while we're plugged in. I'm wondering if I could somehow bury an exterior rated extension cord (through pvc conduit) and using weatherproof boxes connect the two buildings? (thereby replacing the extension cord that I've got running under the door) Inside the shed, I'd just run BX for a switch on an overhead 32watt shop light and two 15amp receptacles.

Seems jerry-rigged I know, but my thought is that it's essentially an extension cord with a power strip.

Old 07-28-18, 11:05 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,259
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Running a UF cable to the shed.is the correct way to go for a single circuit. Flexible cord is not for burial or use underground.
Old 07-28-18, 04:38 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for answering pcboss. I didn't have my thread subscription enabled, so I just saw this answer. So- if my goal is to have a true "plug for power" circuit to the shed, would it be better if I just kept it all above ground? Just disregard the idea of burying the power cord?

If I were to go with a UF cable, that just seems like I should be tieing it into my main circuit box. I just want power when I'm tinkering, not as a livable space or actual workshop.

Thanks again.
Old 07-28-18, 05:08 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 4,508
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
Well you could bury a UF cable to run between the shed and the house, and bring it near an existing outdoor receptacle at the house. The UF cable terminates in its own outlet box where you have a male receptacle. Use a short extension cord with appropriately shaped female end to connect the male receptacle on the wall with the existing outdoor (female) receptacle. Unplug that when done for the day.
Old 07-29-18, 06:30 AM
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States, Virginia
Posts: 1,612
Received 157 Votes on 129 Posts
If you can run UF wire from the load side an existing outdoor GFCI outlet that's on the house to the shed then the UF only needs to be buried 12" if the circuit is 20A or less. The main thing is to only need 12" of cover is that the circuit needs GFI protection at the source. I think in the long run you'll be better off with doing it correctly now than trying to do some shortcut.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: