Do I have a 3 way switch or a single pole switch

Old 08-04-18, 07:47 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I have a 3 way switch or a single pole switch

Hello all,
I am attempting to replace two different switches (opposite ends of my garage) that both control the same 5 outlets. From what I am researching it sounds like these are 3 phase switches, however they both have ON/OFF written on them. Also they both are wired the same way, with just three black wires, two of which are pigtailed. The switches only have two screws and no ground. My question is do I just buy a single phase switch and wire them as before, or should I buy a 3 phase switch and not pigtail them? any help is appreciated

Old 08-04-18, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Of they say on and off and only have two terminals plus the ground they are single.pole switches. The two wires on.one end should be pigtailed.

Old 08-04-18, 08:11 PM
F
Ok thanks... i forgot to mention that two of the three black wires are hot. The one that is not hot is pigtailed with a hot. Im not sure if that changes anything. I guess I was just confused as to why they control multiple outlets if they are only single phase, did not think it was possible. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Old 08-05-18, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Normal snap switches come in single pole, three way, and four way. You will only find these for general lighting or to control 120 volts receptacles.

Three phase in only used in commercial buildings where equipment needs to be disconnected.

Old 08-05-18, 06:47 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, by the way those are either 3 way or single pole ,not 3 phase and single phase, so you have 1 single pole on each end of your garage and you can turn the outlets ON & OFF from both locations, correct? Go from 1 switch turn the outlets ON , walk to the other side of the garage and turn them OFF.
Just trying to figure out what you have there.
Geo

Old 08-05-18, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
replace two different switches (opposite ends of my garage) that both control the same 5 outlets
It sounds to me like you have 2 - 3 ways

Old 08-05-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
however they both have ON/OFF written on them
Then they are standard single pole switches. If they are wired as you have described..... when either one is on.... the receptacles are on. That means if one switch is on..... the other cannot turn the receptacles off.

Old 08-05-18, 03:14 PM
F
So I replaced the switches with new single pole switches and just wired them the same way (pigtail). Now, when I plug in a outlet tester it reads that everything is wired correctly. BUT, when I turn on either switch and place a load on the outlets this changes the reading to HOT/GROUND reversed.

I have replaced 3 of the 5 outlets (the other two look to be in good shape), any ideas? I should mention that the outlets stopped working correctly one day and shorted out my TV that was plugged into the circuit.

BTW thanks for all the replies

Old 08-05-18, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
We're just doing a lot of guessing here. That was apparently wired by someone not familiar with wiring. Two single poles controlling the same circuit is not a plus.

If the switches are off..... there should be no reading from any tester.
We'd need to know more about is in place for wiring.
Like previously mentioned.... pictures are very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: