bd1515 breaker question

Old 08-06-18, 03:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bd1515 breaker question

HI i have a question about my breaker i have a breaker in my box like the one in the pictures this breaker is a bd1515 or br1515 a 2 pole unit breaker is this like a 2 in one or are they actually 2 breakers on a single bus?

Attached Images    

Last edited by mdh83; 08-06-18 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-18, 03:57 PM
P
Received 94 Votes on 74 Posts
They are two breakers (one case) to fit in one space so are on the same pole. That makes them 2 single pole breakers using the same panel pole/leg.

Old 08-06-18, 05:12 PM
M
ok so the switches are on 2 actual separate breakers in one box housing ?

Old 08-06-18, 05:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
That breaker will supply two 120 volt circuits.

Old 08-06-18, 05:17 PM
M
on mine one is for receptacles and other for lights what if the one breaker for lights gets too hot or a light switch has a arcing sizzling sound? would it effect the receptacle side of the breaker? could it damage the breaker or fry anything that is plugged into the power outlets on the receptacle side?

Old 08-06-18, 05:27 PM
M
my teen kid held the light switch in the bathroom half way between on and off and you can hear a sizzling sound from arcing he says it sounded cool and i told him he wont think its cool when you have a fire! will this effect the breaker? the switch is a self contained like this one in picture it just has one set of copper wires (meaning just one single set of copper) going to it! some of these has 2 or 3 sets of wires going to them! it is in the bathroom the switch is right next to exhaust fan the exhaust fan switch is the exact same and that has 2 sets of wires going to it one in bottm and one at the top the bathroom is right next to the back bed room where breaker box is!

Last edited by mdh83; 08-06-18 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 06:48 PM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
what if the one breaker for lights gets too hot
The breaker should trip before it gets hot enough to affect the other side.
It is really no different from having 2 separate breakers.

sizzling sound from arcing he says it sounded cool and i told him he wont think its cool when you have a fire! will this effect the breaker?
That will not affect the breaker, but will damage the switch. The switch's contact point will melt and develop carbon deposits. The result will be poor connection. If lucky, the switch will just not work. If not so lucky, it can lead to continuous arcing and/or overheat and melt the switch.

The switch in the picture you posted is for mobile home. Do you live in a mobile home?

Old 08-06-18, 06:55 PM
M
yes it is a mobile home so the sizzling sound in the switch wont mess up the breaker or interfere or fry anything on the other side that has receptacles/outlets on it? but maybe the switch? no breakers has tripped! does the breaker actually have 2 separate breakers built inside of it or is it just like one 30 amp breaker made with 2 switches to trip separately?

Old 08-06-18, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,041 Votes on 965 Posts
No..... it is two completely independent 15A circuit breakers that just share a common case.
One side has NO effect on the other side.

Old 08-06-18, 08:35 PM
M
so if something brunt up on one side lets say to where it was non catastrophic like something melted a little what about a sizzling sound inside a light switch because it was held half way between on and off by teenage kid for 10-15 seconds here and there or had a short? would it have no effect on the other side that the receptacles are wired up to or could it burn something up (or make it run hotter ) that is on the receptacle side like a laptop on a charger, desktop computer( surge protected), hd flat screen tv? one side of this breaker is for lights and other side has receptacle outlets!

Last edited by mdh83; 08-06-18 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
We seem to be going around in circles.

Playing with the light switch on the lighting circuit will not affect the receptacle circuit.
A dead short on the receptacle line will not cause any issues on the lighting circuit.

If you have a problem with your wiring..... spell it out for us.
Those mobile home devices where the wires are just pushed in can be problematic.

Old 08-06-18, 10:29 PM
M
Thanks for the reply i think the wiring is fine and the devices seem fine but why did the switch make a sizzling or a electrical frying sound? could i be defective?

Old 08-07-18, 04:05 AM
L
Received 58 Votes on 53 Posts
why did the switch make a sizzling or a electrical frying sound? could i be defective?
By holding the switch at half position, you are creating bad contact. Thus, causing arcing. All switches will do that if held in halfway like that. If it was held in that position long enough, it will overheat and damage the switch. It it does not even when it is fully on, then you have to replace the switch.

Old 08-07-18, 08:45 AM
Received 85 Votes on 75 Posts
The breaker pictured is a BR1515 non-CTL 15 amp tandem breaker. This breaker is for replacement only in pre-1968 vintage panels. If your mobile home is newer than 1968 it will have a CTL panel and any tandem breakers must be of the CTL type (with rejection clip), such as a BD1515. It is a code violation to use a non-CTL breaker in a CTL panel in an attempt to increase the total number of circuits beyond what the panel was designed for.

Old 08-07-18, 01:02 PM
M
well the breaker i have is actually a bryant type brd bd 15-15 i think its pretty much the same breaker of the other one i pictured the mobile home is a late 80s model

Old 08-07-18, 01:09 PM
M
can arcing the light switch hurt or damage the breaker? one side of breaker is for lights and other side for receptacles

Old 08-07-18, 01:12 PM
M
any new insights on this would be great!

Old 08-07-18, 01:24 PM
M
there is the light switch and then the exhaust fan switch i looked to see how they was wired up and the light switch just has one set of copper wires going into the top and the switch for the fan has 2 sets going to it on in bottom and one in the top the bottom set on fan switch is a hot set coming from the breaker box because it was a little warm the touch how hot should the electrical wire be? i have a temperature gun i can use! shouldn't the switch for light have 2 sets of wires going to it also? and how is it going to the light with just one set of wires going to it? unless the one set of copper actually has 2 sets of wires inside housing/ insulation the switch is a self contained like in the picture above!

Old 08-07-18, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
can arcing the light switch hurt or damage the breaker? one side of breaker is for lights and other side for receptacles
any new insights on this would be great!
The next insight will be be me closing this thread. We been going over the same things.
NO..... the arcing light switch WILL NOT hurt the breaker. If allowed to keep arcing..... the contacts of the switch will become badly damaged and the switch will need to be replaced.

There are many ways to wire a switch. There is a switch loop like in your picture where the power goes to the light or receptacle and a two wire cable only switches the hot. The hot is sent to the switch on white and it returns switched on black.

The other way is power enters at the switch. The black wires are switched and the white neutral wires are just carried thru.

Old 08-07-18, 02:44 PM
M
would it be looped like this ?

Old 08-07-18, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
That looks like a three way switch box with the wires connected to make it work like a regular single pole switch. The fact that you just have a single cable there tells you it's a switch loop.

Old 08-07-18, 04:25 PM
M
this is not a actual picture of mine so is this wired the same as mine or is mine not a 3 way like you say this is?

Old 08-07-18, 04:28 PM
M
mine has 2 going to exhaust fan switch and then just one going to the light switch they are side by side! i was just curious of where the light switch was running from is the hot coming from the light/ceiling? would it be a non neutral switch?

Old 08-07-18, 04:32 PM
M
the thing is no other light switches is arcing and this one has stopped as well! could the switch have a short? would it have anything to do with the switch in the bathroom being closer to the breaker box? i just don't want any fires! my teenager said he tried to do other switches also but they didn't make that sizzling sound!

Old 08-08-18, 07:31 PM
M
does that mean the hot is coming from the light or some where in the ceiling?

Last edited by mdh83; 08-08-18 at 07:32 PM. Reason: change
Old 08-08-18, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
If there are only two wires to the light switch then it is a switch loop. No neutral present. Power goes to the light and then just the hots are switched.

Switches can sizzle like that in high humidity too. When you turn any switch on there is a momentary spark when the contacts make. As long as the contacts are clean.... the switch is quiet. You can hold any switch at the point where it sizzles. That's where the two contacts are just making. As we've stated several times.... don't hold the switches like that. If the switch is bad.... it will sizzle when it's turned all the way on.