Adding subpanel to transfer switch load side

Old 08-10-18, 11:17 AM
Adding subpanel to transfer switch load side

I have a transfer switch that connects one of the line sides directly to the main electric meter breaker. The load side of the transfer switch goes to the interior in cement main service panel.

Due to space limitations and distance, I'm thinking of using polaris connectors for the 2 pole lines and neutral from the transfer switch load side (which also goes into the home) to mount a sub panel for a few extra circuits.

The main electric meter breaker, double pole double throw transfer switch, and interior main service panel are 125 Amps. The main cables from the meter are 2 AWG. The ground and neutral are bounded together on the main meter electrical panel.

IWould this setup be ok to add a 125 Amp Subpanel on the load side of the transfer switch? I'm concerned with the neutrals in this setup.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-18, 11:28 AM
Group Moderator
A little vague. Are you asking if you can tap a second 125A sub panel in at the transfer switch ?

The ground and neutral should be connected together at the main disconnect and then four wires should be used to feed a sub panel. My concern is you already have a 125A sub panel and want to add a second one. How much additional load are you adding ? Will the service be big enough to handle the additional load ?

Old 08-10-18, 01:58 PM
Are you asking if you can tap a second 125A sub panel in at the transfer switch ?
Yup. From the load lugs that go into the house.

Currently, I have two AC inverter mini splits (240 Volt 20 amp and 30 amp) that I need to rewrite since they are double tapped to the interior mains. Don't have ACs for other rooms yet, but want to have space for two double pole breakers for the future. Will add a double pole 30 Amp breaker for a SPD. I will later on add a well pump. I'd like to have a space or two spare in the new subpanel.