Portable Gas Generator

Old 08-12-18, 10:49 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Portable Gas Generator

I spend about 30 minutes each weekend on my front and back yards, using the following plug-in corded:
  • Blower
  • Weed Trimmer
  • Hedge Trimmer
  • Pole Saw

I was going to buy a new sets that are cordless but I realized two things which stopped me. First, I don't want to shed out $400 to get all new of the above. Second, I don't want to clutter my garage with more stuffs and I really don't want to throw away my be loved electrical corded lawn equipments.

I wanted cordless because I did not want to pull out the extension cord. Also, outdoor receptacles are limited. This has brought me on planning to get a portable gas generator such as this one, for about $100:

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-ma...arb-63025.html

Yes, I know that I will still need to use an extension cord but it would be a shorter one.

I would like to hear your thoughts. More importantly, I have never owned a gas generator before. Is it lots of work to operate and maintain? I know not to operate a gas generator inside a home or an enclosed space because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Otherwise, I will just get a darn 100 feet extension cord or install more outdoor receptacles, LOL!

Last edited by WRDIY; 08-12-18 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-13-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 973 Votes on 894 Posts
That is about the noisiest, cheapest generator you could find. If you had picked a $800 Honda I would say they are quiet and easy to use and last a long time. The one you linked is really the bottom. It will be very loud but the ease of use will depend alot on whether or not you got a good one. You will also have the hassel of mixing gas and oil to feed it.

Do you have a golf cart, wagon or something to carry the generator around? If not I'd think a heavy duty extension cord might be easier.

Old 08-13-18, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,617 Votes on 1,489 Posts
Wow.... I didn't know they even still made two cycle generators. Yes....that will be loud to use.
The Hondas and even the blue Yamahas are much quieter but more costly. I'm a Honda man.

Old 08-13-18, 04:17 PM
Received 537 Votes on 497 Posts
I haven't had an electric powered lawn tool in 30 years and I could never see going back to those days of dragging around extension cords, ever!

Of course I now have 3 acres now so it's totally impractical but even without the acreage I still want the freedom.

So if I were starting from scratch I;d probably look into the multi function gas tools, a single power-head and various attachment,

Something like the Echo Pro series, I love my Echo tools!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: