12v connections for cooling pumps and thermostats

Old 08-13-18, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12v connections for cooling pumps and thermostats

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding 12v male/female connections.

I have both a thermostat system and cooling system for a home brewing set up. The systems are separate companies of course (of course). Each system has its strengths, so I would love to get them to work together. Make a long story short, both of the systems work off of a 12V, and connect with a 12V connector. The issue is that both connections are a male connection (I tested the sizing with everything unplugged). As well, the AC/DC label for both systems have a reading of 12V 3A and the same polarity. Essentially, the thermostat system send power to start/stop a pump. Nothing else is involved between the two systems.

My question is if I can use a female-to-female adapter such as the one linked below to connect the two systems without doing any damage. Sorry if this is a basic question. I would rather ask then doing any damage to the equipment.

Adapter Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...033XXZR4JT4X5Y

Thanks a bunch!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-18, 06:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... with that adapter you can connect two coaxial power plugs but I don't see as how that will combine two systems nor do we even know if they can be combined like that. We'd need to know more about what you are combining.

Old 08-14-18, 05:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Are you controlling a glycol cooling system and heater for your fermenter?

My brew system is more permanent so I cut off connectors and hard wire the components to terminal strips. It solves the problem of incompatible connectors and keeps electrical connections enclosed and protected from bumps and spills.

Old 08-14-18, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the responses. I would like to see if I can get this system to work without resulting to any cutting or hardwiring. I'll look at that option if needed. Eventually it will run on a glycol system, but is currently only running off of cooled water. The key is that the new pump I want to connect to is the same pump that will run the glycol system. So if I can get this to work with the water system, it will work the same with the glycol system.

Attached are some images to help. The new pumps are the same power (DC12V-labeled on both pumps). In the attached image (pumps.jpg) the old pump is on the left and the new pump is on the right.

Both of the temperature controllers work the same. They send power to the pump when they want to cool. In the attached photo (from temp controller.jpg) you can see the pump control connection branching off from the temp controller. This is where the pump connects.

The last picture (new pump with temp controller.jpg) illustrates my question and connection. If both pumps are the same power (labeled on each pump) and the systems are the same power and polarity, could I use a female-to-female adapter?

Thanks!

Attached Images    
Old 08-14-18, 10:08 AM
Group Moderator
Those are generic power connectors. The same as used for wall wort chargers, cordless phone systems and LED lights. Just be aware that many products use those same connectors and there is no standardization. Some devices with that plug will be 5 volts while others may be 12. Some systems also use the center as positive while others it's negative. So, double check your setup before powering things on.

In your case reversed polarity shouldn't hurt your pump but if you power it up and it seems to be running backwards you way need to switch the + and -. But if you're getting everything from Brewtech you should be good to go.

Double check to make sure you are hooking up everything correctly if using a Brewtech system.
It should work out of the box without needing to get extra connectors. You can use female/female connectors if needed since they shouldn't change polarity. You just need to be careful that you don't hook two power supplies together since the systems are designed so the male and female connectors make it more idiot proof.

Old 08-15-18, 06:03 AM
Ok, good info. I'll give it a small test to see if it works, and go from there. I'll see how the pump responds with the adapter. I'll abandon the idea if anything doesn't look right. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Old 08-15-18, 10:04 AM
Group Moderator
I'm glad you posted. I always like seeing other peoples brew setups.