Circuit Issues

Old 08-21-18, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circuit Issues

I am having issues with the wiring in my house, specifically going to a light switch. I have a closet in which I have had issues with the light since I purchased the home. Previously it was a storage closet, but now my wife is making it her walk in closet and I am stumped on the issue I am having. Previously the light would decide when it wanted to work or not. I replaced the switch and had the same issue still. When we cleared the closet out, I figured maybe it was the light fixture so that was replaced. It was instantly working and then it was not the next morning. This is when I pulled my multimeter out and started to troubleshoot last night. This is where I am at and I am stumped!!!
1) When the light works, I have 120V on the hot line of the switch.
2)When the light doesn't work I have 1V on the line.
With the breaker off...
1) I consistently have 0 ohms on the neutral line to neutral side on various plug outlets. That all seems good along with ground to ground
2) When the light is working, I have 0 Ohms from the hot input of the switch to the hot side of various plug outlets.
3) When the light is not working, I have between 600-1000 Ohms from the hot input of the switch to the same hot side of the plug outlets.

This is all tested with all items unplugged from the circuit and all other light switches off. No change in variable from when it works and when it doesn't. I have unscrewed all of the outlets and switches attached to the breaker to check the connections and all seems good.

What is my next step before I go insane??!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-18, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A little confusion here. You NEVER use a test meter in the OHMS position on a live circuit.

You need to set your meter to read 120vAC.
Do you have one or two cables (2 or 4) wires at the switch ?
If you are losing the 120v at the switch.... that's where you start troubleshooting.

Old 08-21-18, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The power is OFF when testing ohms. Nothing on the line.

I just have one cable in and one out. Looks like the end of the line.
Black Hot going to the switch, Neutral twisted together.

I am not losing the 120 at the switch, it is before the switch. I am measuring from the incoming line.

EDIT*
There is 120 coming into the switch sometimes. and that is when the light works. It is somewhere between the switch and where it is feeding from. I don't know where it feeds from but all connections from all of the outlets and switches in the circuit have been inspected and secure.

Last edited by mtimko; 08-21-18 at 11:59 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 08-21-18, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 475 Votes on 445 Posts
Ok. You have a two wire switch loop. It would be very uncommon for that line to not go to the receptacle or the light it operates. At that device is where power needs to be checked. If you are losing power there...... then the problem is before that point.