Installing new plug/switch in garage

Old 08-25-18, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing new plug/switch in garage

I am going to be installing a new plug/switch combo to replace an existing one in my old apartment garage.
There are 4 garages that all seem to run on the same main line. ONE garage has a GFCI outlet that gets thrown when there is a problem in any of them.
I really do not have easy access to the breaker box that controls the main power to the garages. I do have access to the GFCI breaker. So my question is.....with just the GFCI breaker off, is it safe to install the new outlets. Thanks for any info!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-18, 10:05 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
Yes it is safe. But, make sure nobody resets the GFCI while you are working on it. Put a sign over it or something..

Old 08-25-18, 11:55 PM
Good idea! Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-26-18, 03:31 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Why don't you have access to the breaker box? Do you own this unit or rent it? If you rent it there is a liability issue involved if you do any electrical work. Do you have the landlord's permission?

Old 08-26-18, 10:26 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I really do not have easy access to the breaker box that controls the main power to the garages. I do have access to the GFCI breaker.
Is there a subpanel somewhere? Where is the GFCI breaker located that you have access to it, but no access to the breaker box?

Old 08-26-18, 02:39 PM
The sub-panel is likely in another tenants apt. The GFCI is in another tenants garage that I have access to

Old 08-26-18, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
From the sound of it you shouldn't be doing any work because you rent. If there was a fire, even if not really due to your work the insurance agency could blame you and everyone wood sue you. If anyone was injured you could face criminal charges.