100 amp main breaker question

Old 09-02-18, 06:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100 amp main breaker question

I have a question my step daughter just got a trailer, the other day the power in the whole house went out. I tested the leads coming in to the main breaker and got a reading of 31 volts on each wire so I went outside where the meter is, under the meater is another main breaker, I tested the wires coming in to the breaker and got a reading of 101 volts on each wire and 29 volts coming out on each does that mean the breaker is bad? I have another breaker I tested with continuity and 1 side read .000 while the other side read 1.437 is this breaker good or bad any help would be appreciated, thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-18, 07:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 904 Votes on 844 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Between the two hot wires going into the breaker you should measure 240vAC.
Between each hot wire and ground/neutral you should measure 120vAC.

If you are checking continuity across a main breaker...... there should be 0 ohms or a dead short. Be sure to check continuity in circuits that ARE NOT powered. You don't ever want to use the OHMS setting on live circuits.

Old 09-02-18, 09:30 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The power coming out of the meter into to the first breaker measured 101 from hot & neutral on each hot wire but only had 30 volts on each hot wire coming out of the breaker does that mean the breaker is bad.

And the spare breaker I had I tested was out of the panel, only 1 side of the spare breaker showed zero resistance the other side showed 1.497 do you know if the spare breaker is bad, thank you

Old 09-02-18, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 904 Votes on 844 Posts
It would appear that your voltmeter has a problem. You should be measuring 120vAC between each hot leg and ground...... not 101v. If you don't measure the same voltage on both sides of the breaker.... then it's bad. If it's a digital meter..... change the battery.

Have you checked across the two hot legs..... what did you get ?

There should be a dead short across the breaker when it's in the ON position.