Ground Wire Bonded to Meter Mast Conduit

Old 09-03-18, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ground Wire Bonded to Meter Mast Conduit

Hello. I have an existing condition wherein a solid #6 ground wire is connected from the ground bar to the conduit of the meter mast (see attached image). The only other ground that I have is a braided #6 wire (top wire in the image) that is connected from the ground bar to the galvanized water piping. Am wondering if this ground to the conduit of the meter mast has any value or if I should remove it and install two 8' ground rods. Please let me know your thoughts and thank you very much!

Attached Images  
Old 09-03-18, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
That piece of ground wire is for bonding the locknut/service conduit to ground. It needs to stay. You would add your ground rod wiring to the neutral/ground bar.

Interesting wiring coming into the panel. Do you still have knob and tube wiring ?

Old 09-03-18, 06:49 PM
L
Received 109 Votes on 95 Posts
That is bonding wire running to the conduit to make sure you have a good grounding. It might be wired wrong unless you have a split bus load center.

It appears you have main lug panel instead of the main panel. If you have a main breaker outside, this will be the case and your panel is considered sub-panel instead of main.

Is this case, you are not supposed to bond neutral and ground together. It should be done at the main panel.
What you have on the left is neutral bus not ground bus. It doubles as a ground bus only if your panel is the main panel since it is bonded together at the main panel.

If your panel turns out to be a sub panel, you should add a ground bus bar (it bolts directly to the metal chassis) and move all ground wires to it.
Also remove a ground bonding screw or strap from the neutral bus bar. It will be a screw or trap that is screwed to the chassis.

If your panel actually is a main panel, then there is nothing to worry in the panel.

Older houses may not have a ground rod installed at the house and just use neutral wire from the pole as ground. The neutral wire is also grounded at the pole, but it is a good idea to add a ground rods at your house.

Old 09-03-18, 07:01 PM
Hi. Yeah, there are still two circuits with K&T...will be dealing with that this winter. Ha!

Old 09-03-18, 07:06 PM
It is a split bus panel. Good eye. No, there are no main breakers outside, just the meter box. So in this case would you say that there is sufficient grounding for the panel? Just wanting to clarify after I confirmed it is not a sub-panel. Thank you.

Old 09-03-18, 07:19 PM
L
Received 109 Votes on 95 Posts
If it is the main, then it is all good.
I would still add ground rods and bond it to the panel.

Old 09-03-18, 07:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
The conductor running to the mast is to ground the mast should a hot contact it. You do not want the mast to be energized.

Old 09-03-18, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
Ground rod(s) do not provide the "ground". They are installed for high surge events like lightning strikes.

Old 09-04-18, 04:40 AM
A
Received 137 Votes on 126 Posts
"the galvanized water piping"

Your system may be grandfathered but the up to date code has the fat ground wire (grounding electrode conductor) from the panel neutral or neutral/ground bus bar connected to the cold water supply pipe within 5' of where the pipe exits the foundation and without the meter or other device in between. Omit if water pipe exiting is not metal and if there is alternate means (not expounded upon here for brevity's sake) used to bond interior metal plumbing in general to the electrical ground.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-04-18 at 05:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: