Wiring new kitchen island

Old 09-06-18, 07:20 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wiring new kitchen island

I am wiring up a new kitchen island. There will be a dishwasher, microwave drawer, and 1 receptacle. I don't think one 20 amp circuit is enough for that. I plan on two 20 amp circuit (or possibly one 20 and one 15).

Whats the best way to wire it up? Put the microwave by itself and the dishwasher/receptacle on the same circuit? The dishwasher will be hard wired.

Thanks

Old 09-06-18, 07:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
The countertop receptacle needs to be fed from a 20A circuit which serves only kitchen and dining room receptacles. If you have an existing compliant small appliance branch circuit in the kitchen, you can extend that one to the island countertop receptacle. Otherwise, you'll need a new 20A circuit for this one. GFCI protection is required. Note that receptacle placement on an island can sometimes be tricky - you may need something like a backsplash framed into the island or a specialized box (check out Lew Electric). Plain receptacles facing up in the countertop are never allowed in a kitchen. Local codes sometimes prohibit receptacles on the side of the island because little kids can grab the crock pot cord and pull it onto their head.

The microwave sounds like a built-in, so that will have to be installed per manufacturer's instructions. I will almost guarantee they require a dedicated 20A circuit.

The dishwasher does not necessarily require a dedicated circuit. But it sounds like there is nothing else in the island it can share with, so essentially a dedicated circuit is required. If you have a disposal or some accent lighting or something like that you could share a circuit with the dishwasher. It cannot share with any circuit that has a receptacle in the kitchen or dining area.

Old 09-08-18, 06:25 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
ibpooks,
Thanks for the great info. I tapped in to one of my two kitchen outlet circuits for the receptacle. I am running separate circuits for the dishwasher and microwave.

When I designed the island at the kitchen store, it didn't really occur to me to get a spot for an outlet. I'm not sure exactly where it's going to go!!

Old 09-08-18, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Does the countertop overlap the island. A typical place is under that countertop up high.
I've also installed them on the side and the box gets installed between the rear wall and the back of the drawer.

If it's not built yet.... maybe it's not too late for them to allow a place to put it.

Old 09-09-18, 07:52 AM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
WireMold plug strip is my preferred solution.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: