Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Re-wiring old doorbell buttons and running wire under casing

Old 09-13-18, 05:05 PM

OMy home was built in 1920s. Itís a double, so there are two old buttons at the back door. According to my tenant, who has been living here for 19 years longer than me, the back doorbells never worked.

Tasked by my significant other to fix this, I tracked the problem to the wiring having a break between the button and the transformer. Replace the wire is all I had to do right? Hahaha I knew It wouldnít be THAT easy. The old wiring mustíve been run when the house was built in the 20s, itís inaccessible and actually has part of the house on top of it. This is where the break is, as both back doorbells donít ring. The front doorbells ring with no problems.

Sorry for the long backstory..need advice on if itís cool to drill a new pair of holes in my exterior casing (see pic) and drill the hole all the way through so I can run the wires behind the interior door casing. I think I can either find a hollow core piece of casing or carve a channel out if the back. I can then run the wire through the floor to the basement and to the bell transformer.

Sorry cant post pics from my iPhone apparently. Will post pics latee

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-18, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Two back doorbells ? Or two buttons that should ring the same unit as the front or is this complexity independent ?
Yes..... the wiring would have been run when the house was built and will be inaccessible unless you have a basement. I see you have a basement. Did you go to the door locations and check for the wiring ? Back then it would be two single wires..... probably wrapped around nails.

You may be able to just run the wire behind the casement without having to hollow it out.

Not sure how to post pics from an Iphone. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 09-13-18, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Note the push button wires normally go to the chime not the transformer. The transformer wires go to the chime also.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-18, 06:15 AM
I'm assuming the wiring is correct, I don't know the specifics of what wire goes where..I tested by removing the button and touching the two wires together, Nothing happened. I know the transformer is good as my front door bell works fine. I went into the basement and cut the wires before they run up into the hall and outside and touched them together and the doorbell rang. So, I assumed the wiring between my cut and the button is bad. Here is a pic of the wires and this is the point where they were run along a long course of cinderblock, and what looks like a 2x10 was placed directly on top of the wire.

There were/are two old round brass style buttons on at the back door. Each button is for each unit.

Attached Images  
Old 09-14-18, 06:31 AM
Here is the a pic of the outside door casing with an outline of where i want one of the two doorbells to be mounted. The old doorbell buttons are below this. I want to drill a new hole for each, right through the wall to the inside and fish my wires down the wall, into the basement, and to the transformers, completely bypassing the existing old wire, and cover with the inside casing. I guess my question is..is this logical and is it OK to bypass the old wiring by drilling a hole into the inside of my house to run the new wires down the back of the casing?

First pic shows the inside (I removed the casing..note, the gap between the door and the wall is deceiving..there isn't room to fish a wire along side it) and the ouside where I've outlined where I want the new button.

Not interested in the wireless option as I have a perfectly functions wired bell working for the front doors of both units.

Attached Images   
Old 09-14-18, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
I would drill a hole behind the doorbell... from outside toward the inside. Looks like you may need to angle the home toward the door slightly (Do some measuring) Then take a grinder and remove about 1" of plaster along the door jamb down to the floor. Then drill a hole down through the rough opening down through the floor.

Old 09-14-18, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
I would drill a hole behind the doorbell... from outside toward the inside. Looks like you may need to angle the home toward the door slightly (Do some measuring) Then take a grinder and remove about 1" of plaster along the door jamb down to the floor. Then drill a hole down through the rough opening down through the floor.
Good tips thanks..yeah I was concerned going straight back too..will have to angle that a bit towards the door.

Regarding grinding. Like that tip, didn't think about making a channel for the wires in the plaster..either I do the plaster, or the back of casing (it's just a piece of 1x3 pine so if I muck it up, no big deal) thinking about buying a cheapo grinder from Harbor Freight just for one off projects like this around the house so now I've got a reason.

Old 09-14-18, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
You will need a diamond blade. It will make a lot of dust so you may want to put up a plastic curtain (tape to the wall on both sides of the door and open the door.) You can pit a towel on the floor and have a helper dribble water on it (drill 1/8" hole in the cap of a water bottle) to help keep dust down. A shop vac helps suck up dust while cutting but doesnt get all of it.

When you still the hole at an angle, if you pay attention you may feel the bit hit a void while drilling. That void is the gap between the door frame and the 2x4 wall framing. Once you hit that gap you're good to go... removing the plaster will expose this same gap. If there is wood lathe in the way behind the plaster you can carefully cut a little bit of it off with a sawzall to expose the gap in the rough opening.

Old 09-14-18, 10:27 AM
Seems easier to just cut the channel in the back of the wood casing trim out in the garage..no special blade, no dust protection, plus I can always replace if I f*** it up..any benefits to cutting the plaster channel over what I'm thinking?

Old 09-14-18, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Do whatever you think is easiest.